Motor oil change

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Arturo Gonzalez, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Arturo Gonzalez

Arturo Gonzalez New Member

Good morning. I’m new to the group. I just bought a 2017 Black Expedition El Limited with 51,000 miles at carmax here in California. I was wondering should i do the oil change at a ford dealer or have my mechanic do it? Should i stick with using motorcraft or do you recommend something better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater Full Access Members

I can't comment on your question as to who should do it as I do my own maintenance, but it's recommended to use a name brand full synthetic and shorten the interval to at least every 5,000 miles due to fuel dilution of the oil. Myself, I use motorcraft filters and pennzoil platinum every 5k when not towing, every 3-4k when towing frequently (boating season).

Arturo Gonzalez likes this.
  3. Don Hall

Don Hall Supporting Member Supporting Member

Changing oil is not hi-tech. Depending on your physical size and condition, you can access the oil drain plug, and filter without jacking the SUV. It takes about 20 minutes (I'm 86).
    Since I own Corvettes, I use Mobile 1 purchased at Costco with $10-off coupon. Your vehicle came with a synthetic blend. If I don't feel like crawling under the vehicle, I take it to OIL CAN HENRY (now VALVOLINE), furnish my own oil and filter.

As suggested by MidwestBoater, it is suggested to use a full synthetic oil which will withstand hi-engine temps, especially when towing, but a synthetic blend is adequate.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. 07xln

07xln Full Access Members

If your only two choices are the dealer or "your mechanic" I would take it to the mechanic. Dealers simply cant be trusted to do something as simple as an oil change and do it right

Like others said, good synthetic and whatever filter you want

5. Flexpedition

Flexpedition Full Access Members

There are over 3,000 Ford dealerships in the US alone. You got them all figured out?

2008 here, purchased new - every single oil change done at various Ford dealerships. Never an issue.

6. coolzzy

coolzzy Full Access Members

If you bought it certified pre owned or bought an extended warranty, it would be nice to have a paper trail of oil changes showing proper maintence was performed if you ever have to file a claim. The ford dealer runs specials every few months on their "works" oil change for 30 bucks. It includes tire rotation and basic inspection of fluids in addition to a Motorcraft filter and oil. That's my plan for my 17 expy while it's under warranty, and I'll change it every 5k miles. Remember the ecoboost calls for 5w30 oil unlike many ford's that switched to recommending 5w20, so make sure your dealer or oil change place puts the proper weight in.

I know for certain that oil changes, tire rotations, etc, at a Ford dealer show on a carfax, some large chain shops do as well but small shops most likely don't.

7. 07xln

07xln Full Access Members

It only takes 1

JExpedition07 likes this.
  8. theoldwizard1

theoldwizard1 Full Access Members

A semi-synthetic, like what they installed at the factory is fine. For DIYer, Motorcraft purchased at Walmart is an excellent buy. Same with Motorcraft filters.

Never heard of fuel diluting the oil on any EcoBoost. Got any proof like a oil analysis report ?

Clemson82 and Arturo Gonzalez like this.
  9. Black

Black Full Access Members

If you are not doing extended interval changes, towing much, or drive it hard there is no reason to pay the extra money for full synthetic. A 5,000 mile interval with normal driving practices is not breaking down the oil yet. I am 4,500 into my current oil change and my oil life monitor is still at 58% if you find them to be accurate.

The Motorcraft synthetic blend and a motorcraft filter will do just fine.

Oil changes are easy. I have never paid to have someone do mine.
    Sadly that will change here in a couple weeks. My 2016 came with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer and they require the oil changes and factory maintenance schedule he performed by an ASE certified shop.
    I have a $14.95 The Works Coupon from my local dealer and am coming up on my first 5k which will be 50k for the rig so it will be going to the dealer.

I tend to do more maintenance than required as a bit of added insurance.
    So for me 50k service includes spark plugs, differential fluids (I do use Amsoil full synthetic for these), transmission fluid and filter, coolant, I don’t have the upgraded towing package but want the bigger radiator so I’ll likely add it since I will be doing the coolant.
    I’ll be doing this work since only the required maintenance intervals are required to be done by the ASE shop.

lvcjt702 and Arturo Gonzalez like this.
  10. jawalla3

jawalla3 Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018