MY 08 EL EDDIE BAUER SUSPENSION IS STIFF AS A BOARD - REPLACED WITH STANDARD ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobE

Reaction score
I replaced the OEM struts on my 2012 limited yesterday. The stock ones had 200k miles on them, I purchased the truck with 150k. I replaced them with Detroit Axle which fit well and look exactly like oem. The ride height seems taller, but then again, the old ones had 200k miles on them so I am sure the new ones will settle down. $314 for all four. I have used Monroe quick struts on my 2007 expedition and 2002 Sequoia and these Detroit Axle struts look better. All the struts came with dirt shields. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WNP3DO/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_HWE1Y30773VC7S27BAVM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe post this message at blueoval.
Where ford techs can see.
Ford quality has been sucking lately.
They could have missed this detail?

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When this issue is solved, can the brand name and part numbers be listed of the setup the retained the smooth factory ride?

I haven’t driven mine yet. I know odd, but I bought it with a bad transmission and the replacement trans is still laying on the fork lift pallet. The previous owner told me he swapped out the rear auto leveling with springs shocks because he pulled a trailer and didn’t like the handling it had. My guess is the rear air suspension went bad and he grabbed the cheapest fix. So I’m expecting a harsh firm ride out of the rear. Which my severe pain level can not take. My partners truck is an 08 Silverado base with aftermarket suspension and I’m literally in tears when we hit bumps.

Please Please post back with what ever setup achieved a smooth ride.

With my disability, my dream setup would be a full air ride suspension that would allow me to drop the vehicle for entry/exit but retain a comfortable ride height. Unless tax refund is a surprise, I’m just going to look for around 3” drop spindles for the front and ? for the rear. I don’t care for the slammed look, but a few inch drop would look good.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the fix for your issue be to reuse your original springs on the new struts? Might be slight sag but I wouldn’t expect much difference in ride height. I know you said you didn’t want to break the struts down, but if Ford has lumped all previous part numbers into one firmer replacement, not sure what else to do.

Getting others opinions on what aftermarket is soft or stiff is relative. I’d have to find people local and drive theirs before taking a risk on that particular brand.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think in the original post, the springs were said to have been changed too, yeah?

If so, that is is the root cause.

Is there a way to look back on receipts or a service list or whatnot to see if there's a part number?

Remember, not all springs are the same, regardless of what experts will say.

I've experienced this on Mustangs over the years that I've put together. The same brand/part number of aftermarket springs, made several years apart were different, even on the same style cars, same setups, etc.
Once was an inch lower and rode harsher than another. Just an example.

Were I you, I'd try to find out if there's a way to ID those springs, and maybe try to get 'em replaced with more appropriate units.

Shocks in this case will have less of an initial impact

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the OEM struts on my 2012 limited yesterday. The stock ones had 200k miles on them, I purchased the truck with 150k. I replaced them with Detroit Axle which fit well and look exactly like oem. The ride height seems taller, but then again, the old ones had 200k miles on them so I am sure the new ones will settle down. $314 for all four. I have used Monroe quick struts on my 2007 expedition and 2002 Sequoia and these Detroit Axle struts look better. All the struts came with dirt shields. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WNP3DO/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_HWE1Y30773VC7S27BAVM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Used the Detroit Axle front loaded struts few months ago, ride is good and they were a bit higher at first but settled back to within half an inch of stock height. '07 EB

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
Gents,
Thank you for all the input. I'm so grateful that you took the time to share your experiences. Yes, I did replace my springs with my second struts/shocks replacement; I should have kept the factory springs, but it's too late to cry over spilled milk.
All said I think I'm going to try the Detroit Axle to see how they feel. Anything besides what I have not should be an improvement. Dropping $300 on all four corners is not going to break the bank; it just the time it'll take to get it all done in my shop is what irks me. I have been dealing with this crappy OEM setup from Ford.com, who probably did exactly what was said, lumped all the spring/shocks/struts into a single setup, and called it a day....

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
You are so right with that statement Trainmaster. I'm a "buy quality and keep it for a long time" time type of person. But I've also run into difficulty finding quality parts or OEM with the same specs that came with the vehicle. Nevertheless, it makes for a good scavenger hunt, but sometimes it gets very frustrating. I prefer my metal body and sturdy built vehicles than the all-around plastic and fiberglass stuff that's on the roads now.

My quest to find the original ride of my Expy continues. If parts for cars made 50 years ago can be found, I know I'll find my suspension kit for my '08.

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
I sincerely think the springs they sent me are way beyond the diameter that came with the vehicle. So now, I have to research the original diameter of an '08 Expy EL Eddie Bauer OEM spring and see what I can find aftermarket that's close to that.

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
I sincerely think the springs they sent me are way beyond the diameter that came with the vehicle. So now, I have to research the original diameter of an '08 Expy EL Eddie Bauer OEM spring and see what I can find aftermarket that's close to that.