My Current Project. Any Ideas or sugestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cicattleco

Reaction score
My wife has a 2000 expedition XLT that has been a lot of fun. In June 2018 I had an opportunity to buy a second expedition EB for $300 without keys from an impound lot. I didn't know if it ran and decided to take a chance. After having a set of keys made and charging the battery it started right up and ran OK. I changes all plugs, oil, and filters and it runs great. At the time it had 240000 miles. I decided it would make a fun off road vehicle in the West Desert of Utah.

I have since replaced air bags with coils, lifted the front with torsion keys and spacers in the rear, repainted the enitre vehicle with Raptor Liner and added larger tires. I am hoping to replace the front bumper with a heavier bumper and winch and build a cargo rack on the top.

I have enjoyed this vehicle so far and i am looking for suggestions to make it more unique and fun to play with.

36779283_10214467612277165_1905204993804206080_o.jpg

Day of purchase before agreeing on price

36826840_10214467611717151_8326645194015375360_n.jpg

Sanding body
36730905_10214467609277090_9054985258444783616_o.jpg

After sprayed
36697067_10214467608117061_589817142816276480_o.jpg

After lifting and tires compared to wife's

BillAlex

Reaction score
Wow, what a deal. It sort of reminds me of Christmas morning where you dream of having that one in a million gift and you get it. If you read some of the post on guys buying new Expy's you find they are paying in the Seventy thousand dollar range. You paid $600. We all subscribe to Expedition Forum to find one little nugget that saves us money. Fortunately, there are guys here with years of experience on Expeditions and are willing to share their experience and time which benefits all of us collectively. You my friend have stumbled into something that is the real foundation of the entire forum no matter where you look. You have countless threads on where to buy tires, more on batteries, more on seats or connectors, you have simple repairs such as brakes, rotors or hubs, you will find priceless information if you ever have to rebuild an engine and you find inspiration from those who stuck their neck out and purchased a Diamond in the rough.

We sign up for the Forum to find out what years have problems. We look for the 5.4L with 3Valve to see if the Timing chains come unglued at a hundred thousand miles. We look for advice from others who have gone before us and made mistakes and not afraid to share it with all of us. In the back of my mind, I have always thought it was best to find a straight body Expedition and rebuild it from the ground up. There is no way with a new engine, new transmission, new suspension and even interior would be any where near fifty thousand dollars. Most on the forum advise to be careful and not spend more than you could sell the car for. The question I have is what if you simply love the Expedition and want one for a driver well into the Sunset? What if it was not for sale and it became a labor of love? I am going to be watching this thread closely as you have already transformed a junk yard bound car into a work of art. Well, maybe not art yet, but it's getting there. I really am glad to see a beautiful piece of machinery saved from the clutches of dismantling and brought back to life. I stand in awe. Thank you for just a little more inspiration when we all get sick and tired of repairing our cars, we have something to remind us "it's worth it".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01