My Expedition Modifications and Write-Ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been a couple months since I've updated on here. I've been working crazy hours and haven't had time for very much.

Since the last time I posted in this thread:

I went to the Four Wheel Jamboree in Indianapolis after a ton of rain and found out my tires are terrible in mud.

I installed BrakeMotive drilled/slotted rotors and their pads a little before the Jamboree. I've got a couple thousand miles on them now and I absolutely love them. I no longer have squishy pedal. It is nice and solid right up until you stop. Great value in my opinion.

I sealed my headlights yet again and have gotten my condensation issues to almost zero. I've also developed a problem with the HID system flickering while the motor is running. Turns out that 10% of The Retrofit Source's last batch of Morimoto 3Five ballasts have voltage regulator issues. In true TRS fashion, their customer service is impeccable and they will be calling me as soon as the new/updated 3Five ballasts are available.

I got to send my truck in for service under the extended warranty. I popped the front passenger side exhaust manifold stud a few weeks back and both of the front axle seals have been seeping for awhile. They replaced all of the studs on the passenger side under warranty and replaced my manifold with a new one due to warping on the original. They also replaced the axle seals. I was very shocked that I didn't have to fight tooth and nail to get these things covered under warranty.

Getting ready for winter again, I need to put my factory 17s back on so the 20s don't get any more jacked up than they are now. I also ordered a set of custom fit carpet floor mats from The Auto Mat Store. Ran just over 100 shipped for the front two seats and a runner for the back seat. I'll post pics and a review of those when they get here on Monday.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here I am, a month later with a few more pictures and some review information.

First, a couple of pictures of the BrakeMotive brakes behind my wheels. I love these brakes so far. It is so nice to not have to wonder if the truck is going to stop or having to pump the pedal to get it firmed up.

th_IMG_20130908_164645.jpg th_IMG_20130908_164622.jpg

Now a review of the floor mats I bought from The Auto Mat Store.

I love these mats so far. I am curious how well they will clean up from the salt after the winter. When I received them, I was very surprised to see that the underside was rubber/plastic with little spikes all over. I figured they'd be cloth all of the way through. The fabric is pretty soft, much softer than my factory carpet is. Color is almost spot on. The rear spans across the entire rear floor area and even goes under the front seats a little bit to give more forward protection.

th_IMG_20131208_164918.jpg th_IMG_20131208_164932.jpg

I also just got in my replacement ballasts from The Retrofit Source. They offered newly designed DSP model ballasts to replace the SS models that had issues. They are a little bigger in size, fire right up just like the previous model, and I have absolutely no flicker/strobing at all. I am ecstatic and have been very pleased with their impeccable service. I will be ordering some more parts from them for my A4 very soon.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been gone for awhile... Visiting every now and then. Modifying this truck has taken a backseat to my A4 and paying my debt down.

Since the last update TRS has replaced my ballasts again with yet another new model due to cold weather performance issues. I've not yet installed them but it is on the list for next weekend.

Also on the list is replacing the cubby/tray in front of the shifter with a wireless "qi" charging station for my new Nexus 6. I've replaced the chargers at the office and home with wireless units and I'm loving it. The plan is to custom cut a sheet of ABS to fit the overall opening, secure a three coil board, and use a non-slip mat to keep the phone in place. I'll update this with pictures once the parts come in from China.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712