Name that noise... Whirring from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy-IA

Reaction score
I just went through this with my old 04. I can pretty much say it's the IWE. Mine had dried grease and crude packed behind bellows which caused the sliding gear to slightly contact the driven gear of hub. The noise wasn't there until the speed was up around 30 like you say. Why that that is I haven't a clue, leaking vacuum system maybe? The gear is brought back to an unengaged position by vacuum, and is applied to engage four wheel drive with the vacuum being shut off. Assbackwards if you ask me on first opinion, but there is a good reason they do this.

Consider being in a mountain of snow, a chunk of ice removes the vacuum hose from it's vulnerable position on the hub. Would it be safer if the four wheel drive disconnected or remained connected until the hose could be returned to active duty?

On my older 04 the steps necessary to R&R that part does require the removal of the top A arm ball joint, the steering joint, and the bottom of the shock/strut. Trying to remove it without undoing these three things is pointless and wastes time (like I did until I broke down and just did it).

It does NOT require removing your sensor or hub. It does naturally require removing the caliper and disk (it just makes working behind them easier when/if done on the ground). If done on the ground it DOES require some contortions that us older folks bodies will resent us for for a few days in order to get inside the hub and clean the needle bearings out good and re-grease.

Also have a few good 1/2" pry bars of various lengths. Be sure to torque everything back down too.

In the end it takes less time than changing your spark plugs.

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input. It is definitely not the IWE since this is a RWD truck so I do not have those parts to go bad.

A co-worker is a former (reformed as he puts it) dealership tech and he concurs with the diagnosis of a bad hub bearing.

I dropped it off at the dealership this afternoon for them to work on it tomorrow. They conformed they have hub assemblies in stock, so I suspect this should be pretty simple.

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
Update... dealership replaced the LF wheel hub assembly under warranty and the noise has gone away. Thank you to all for the input.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
I am having a bizarre noise from the front end of my Expedition (2018 Limited, 41k miles, purchased a certified used).

I would describe it as a whirring type noise. It is not loud and, if the radio is up above 6, I can only hear it because I know its there. It does not seem to be there at low speeds. It's almost as if it 'turns on' at 30mph - almost on the mark every time. You cannot hear it with the windows down, it's low enough that the wind noise masks it. It's louder on the driver side than passenger side. It sounds like its coming from the wheel well area or front of the engine, but it is really hard to tell. I have tried to record it, but I can't hear the noise in the recording.

Initially, I thought it was tire noise because I have Uniroyal tires which are kind of prone to be loud. But I have had those since I bought it at 28K and this noise is new.

Then my mind went to bearings/hub. However, the noise does not seem to be speed dependent. Its 'on' or 'off' It comes on at around 30mpg and remains audible until around 65mph at which point its basically drowned out by road/wind noise. It is also not a grinding noise like wheel hubs would normally produce.

Then I was thinking some sort of failing harmonic balancer or pulley noise on the engine, but that should be speed dependent I would think.

If someone told me it was the whirr of an electric motor, I would believe it. But I can't imagine what that might be coming from outside the passenger compartment and only on at speed. If it was an e-fan, it would more likely be on with the vehicle at rest for cooling.

Its one of those noises that is driving me crazy because I hear it. And now that I hear it, it is all I can hear.

My dealership service department options close to home don't have the greatest track record for me, so I figured I would consult the brain trust before I make an appointment.

I have had this issue since new. Happens intermittently @ 40mph, which lead me to believe that it was Lane Keep assist related. I will be following this thread to see if you can any guidance as it drives me nuts.

EDIT: I should have read beyond the first post. Definitely booking an appointment for them to check the hub. Thanks!!

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
I have had this issue since new. Happens intermittently @ 40mph, which lead me to believe that it was Lane Keep assist related. I will be following this thread to see if you can any guidance as it drives me nuts.

EDIT: I should have read beyond the first post. Definitely booking an appointment for them to check the hub. Thanks!!

Did you get your bearing noise resolved also?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would bet wading through flooded roads was involved in the wheel bearings past.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire