Navigation issue driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaseM

Reaction score
We have been using the on board navigation on our 2018 Expedition Limited on a few camping trips this year up in the mountains where there is no cell coverage and it works great. The issue is that whenever we plug in our phones to the charging ports up near the front of the center console (to charge our phones), the on board navigation quits working and it reverts to our cell phone's navigation (Apple maps or Google maps) which doesn't work at all because we have no service. Is there a way to make it so it will keep using the vehicle's navigation system even when one of our phones are plugged in? The wireless charger can only charge one phone at a time and does not charge very quickly. Thanks in advance

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
We have been using the on board navigation on our 2018 Expedition Limited on a few camping trips this year up in the mountains where there is no cell coverage and it works great. The issue is that whenever we plug in our phones to the charging ports up near the front of the center console (to charge our phones), the on board navigation quits working and it reverts to our cell phone's navigation (Apple maps or Google maps) which doesn't work at all because we have no service. Is there a way to make it so it will keep using the vehicle's navigation system even when one of our phones are plugged in? The wireless charger can only charge one phone at a time and does not charge very quickly. Thanks in advance
No, it’s bc of CarPlay, you either plug in and use google maps or unplug and use ford navigation. Only other option is to get a cigarette lighter outlet with a usb interface to charge your phone off that and use ford navigation. It’s either one or the other

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The USB ports (x2 of them) for the 2nd row seats are inches away on the back of the center console. Using these ports will not sync your cells with carplay. You will be able to use the built-in navigation.

You could also disable carplay through the settings screens to include setting carplay to not "Show on connection".

Hope that helps. (from memory)

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
The USB ports (x2 of them) for the 2nd row seats are inches away on the back of the center console. Using these ports will not sync your cells with carplay/appleplay. You will be able to use the built-in navigation.

You could also disable carplay/appleplay through the settings screens to include setting carplay/appleplay to not "Show on connection".

Hope that helps. (from memory)
I’m thinking he wants the other CarPlay apps but to use ford navigation which I’m pretty sure is not possible

OP
OP
ChaseM

ChaseM

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! We have resorted to using the usb ports on the back of the center console, but the kids want to use those too. I was hoping there was a way around it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, it’s bc of CarPlay, you either plug in and use google maps or unplug and use ford navigation.

Not quite. CarPlay can be disabled per device in Settings. Phone can be connected charging,CarPlay disabled. You can then use the Sync Apps, or the built in Nav.

Apps like Pandora, iHeart Radio and several others work still via the Sync 3 App function with the Phone connected with CarPlay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just leave one of these plugged into the socket in the center console with a cord for wife's iphone, and one for my Samsung plugged in already Screenshot_20200801-084133_Chrome.jpg

There's even a notch by the passenger side to route the cords through. Then I usually throw my phone in the little storage part by my right leg.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m thinking he wants the other CarPlay apps but to use ford navigation which I’m pretty sure is not possible

Right. This is another maddening limitation of sync. I cannot fathom why they disable nav as well as apps that I pay for (XM apps specifically) the second I plug in my phone. Ridiculous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes