Navigation & Radio unit freezing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJL18

Reaction score
I have 2018 Expedition and the radio & navigation unit has been freezing up. I have been unable to use the radio or navigation when this happens. Restarting the car doesn't help. After sitting overnite it begins working again. I have checked the software update and it says they are current. Has anyone else had this issue and got it resolved?
Thanks

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did that a few times on old software. Since I updated to the latest available I haven’t had any freezing.

When it freezes you can do the following to restart/reboot the system.

SYNC 3 System Reset
The system has a System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC 3 feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any information previously stored in the system (such as paired devices, phonebook, call history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold the Seek Up (>>|) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. After approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black. Allow 1-2 minutes for the system reset to complete. You may then resume using the SYNC 3 system.

Here is a post to all of the latest versions.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/comprehensive-posting-of-sync-packages.40051/

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a iPhone by chance? My iPhone Xs will lock my Sync3 on my truck if I have been previously connected to another Bluetooth device like a speaker. Then move out of range of it and into my truck. The sync will try and pair, then it will say iPhone connected and nothing works. It won’t reset until the iPhone has been away from the truck for a while. It will also do it if I plug in the USB before the splash screen finishes and sync loads. This was on my 16’ F-150. I have not tried to reproduce it on my 19’ ExP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RJL18

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. I will try that. Yes I have an iPhone X I will pay attention to that.

Multitask0

Reaction score
I've read a lot of users with iPhones 2018 and forward are having issues with Sync 3 3.0 ... Haven't seen any issues with 3.3, but unfortunately only late 2019 and later units can get 3.3