Navigation Stereo swap out for same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TroyM

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have a 2010 Expedition limited with the navigation and rear entertainment package. My head unit has gone bad and was draining my battery as a constant draw. My question is can I replace it with the same head unit or does Ford have to program it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my 2008 head unit failed, I purchased the same unit from eBay and just swapped them over and everything worked okay, your 2010 probably doesn’t have the same head unit as my 08, but chances are it would work. My 08 has the satellite radio and navigation options (the screen drops down to accept a navigation DVD). it doesn’t answer your question directly.
Some shops accept returns, my eBay seller did, so I intended to swap radios and if the new one didn’t work I would just return it, was not going to get Ford involved in reprograming it. Fortunately it worked, but you might want to consider a similar approach, it’s easy enough to swap the head units and if it does work you are just out the return shipping cost.

OP
OP
T

TroyM

Reaction score
Thank you Gary, I’m going to give it a go. I purchased an aftermarket radio which required an extensive wiring harness and I just figure I’ll keep it factory. Thank you Sir!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The thing isn't linked to the VIN. But it is programmed for the options and components in the system. Make sure the radio head you get comes from the same year Expedition and try to get one with/without rear video, woofer etc. While the same head units go into other model cars, they may be programmed with entirely different pin out and inputs.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I went with an aftermarket Android head unit for my 2007 Expedition XLT. Backup camera, GPS, digital speedometer, radio, any internet radio and video. And since it is Android I have Forscan loaded and can easily monitor my vehicle while driving.

I do think it provides a more modern look to my first year Gen 3.

Atoto2007Expedition.jpg