Need help asap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
I fixed it! 3 injectors were clogged. Replaced them now runs alot better.

However.... I have it running and it died...due to the intake and vac lines being off.....while I was in the shop 30ft away talking to a co worker it died....then about 30sec later started itself..

If I start it it will randomly in gage the starter. I had to unhook the silinoid because if I turn the key on it will crank. Sometimes even with the key off. So I turn key on...hook up silinoid then when it starts pull the small wire back off.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glenn you've got a first edition with the famous leaking winshield. Took off plastic trim pieces and passenger wiper to seal up my passenger side this afternoon. If nobody's told you 97-02 have leaking windshields that let water and moisture into Gem module. Gem module is on drivers side above fuse box. When I got my 2000 expy 2 years ago, I thought mine was possessed. First time it rained, my trucks starter starting cranking while it was running, windows wouldn't work, then they did. You get the idea. Seal up window by taking off wipers, and plastic that covers it. Best way is use caulk gun and black 3 m window sealer, available at oreillys, etc. you may have to remove gem and dry out, not easy, or just let dry out on its own, I did. Glad you you figured out your running problem. Take care of those girls/ wife. Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs a bunch of posts on our site, but basically what I did was remove wipers, plastic covers below wipers. With sealer I pulled back rubber strips on window pillar, and used sealer all the way under glass, and side pillar area of glass. Also get some sealer under rubber strip on top of glass. Your problem may return, but it's way better. Mines been at least.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
Well I drove truck today after a storm lastnight. Started fine. Got home then went to start durning the rain. Won't start. Turn the key and won't crank.

Also what is the computer behind passenger kick panel for?

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
Also when I try to start it there is a clicking and the locks will bug out. Sometimes wipers will pause when they shouldnt. Rear wiper doesn't work. Driver window doesn't work. 4x4 lights randomly come on then shut off.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the Ecu, or main computer! Your getting water leaking into your Gem module from window. Mine killed the battery also before I sealed everything up. I believe a dome light or something was shorted and stayed on. Were getting back to back rain, along the west coast. Were due for more tonight around 8:00 pm. If your in Washington, you are supposed to get a lot along the west coast there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got all the symptoms of a wet Gem module. You might have to remove yours and dry out. If damaged and you can't dry out, you might have to replace Gem.