Need help with engine performance issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Herman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Expedition - Eddie Bauer Edition. My family wants to upgrade from a popup camper to a larger camper and this required us to upgrade our tow vehicle. The initial plan was to only drive the Expedition as a tow vehicle, but I've honestly been enjoying it more than I thought I would and have been driving it more regularly.

This past weekend, I decided to take out popup camper out for a camping trip. The area we were camping in had very steep hills and I noticed a possible issue. When going up a hill, I would press the accelerator pedal further to the flow so that the vehicle would downshift a gear. But if this truck goes into higher RPMs, it almost feels as if it is losing power.

Now the vehicle will still accelerate going up a hill (even when pulling my 2,000 lb camper) but it feels like it is struggling more than it should. It is not completely without power, just that it feels it loses power. Very difficult for me to describe.

No check engine lights. No other issues (Other than the tick from cam phasers) . When I bought the vehicle 2 months ago, it would "hiccup" under hard acceleration at high speed. I replaced all 8 Coils (found a cheap pair on eBay) and that corrected the issue.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which motor? How many miles? The new Coil Packs, Motorcraft or what brand? Are spark plugs ok? Do you disable overdrive when on steep grades?

Also, if you don't get a lot of replies here, you might get more attention in the '3rd gen' section.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure your transmission isn't slipping? You stated you lost power as rpms went up. That's a sign of a slipping clutch pack, or a band not gripping a drum inside. Check tranny fluid level, and condition to see if it smells burnt. If your SUVs running strong the rest of time, and only acts up on hills, and rpm, you might go that route next.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 7000 pound camper with my 2003 5.4, a while it isn't a speed demon by any means, it doesn't struggle that bad on hills. I have towed 7% grades and it down shifts and I can run abo 40 to 45 MPH on big hills, and I don't have to dog the crap out of it so pulling 2000 pounds should be simple

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your temp gauge going near-red, or stuck unusually low? How well does the heater work?

Check coolant levels, coolant condition, maybe replace thermostat and backflush the system. That's how Fords with cooling issues can get.

PS make sure you don't get coils and plugs wet in the process, that easily opens a whole nother can of worms

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would believe that he is having a cat problem. Mine did that. I had one set of my cats that were bad, it was so slow it couldn't get out of its own way! Had no power, RPM's would jump/downshift when I pressed the gas pedal, but still wouldn't move. No CEL either.

Plus running with a bad/clogged cat is bad for your exhaust valves too. Run it to long and you can have other issues. I notice he hasn't been back since reporting the issue.

I would assume since he has a 07 EB it should be a 5.4. I would put money on clogged cats.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Expedition - Eddie Bauer Edition. My family wants to upgrade from a popup camper to a larger camper and this required us to upgrade our tow vehicle. The initial plan was to only drive the Expedition as a tow vehicle, but I've honestly been enjoying it more than I thought I would and have been driving it more regularly.

This past weekend, I decided to take out popup camper out for a camping trip. The area we were camping in had very steep hills and I noticed a possible issue. When going up a hill, I would press the accelerator pedal further to the flow so that the vehicle would downshift a gear. But if this truck goes into higher RPMs, it almost feels as if it is losing power.

Now the vehicle will still accelerate going up a hill (even when pulling my 2,000 lb camper) but it feels like it is struggling more than it should. It is not completely without power, just that it feels it loses power. Very difficult for me to describe.

No check engine lights. No other issues (Other than the tick from cam phasers) . When I bought the vehicle 2 months ago, it would "hiccup" under hard acceleration at high speed. I replaced all 8 Coils (found a cheap pair on eBay) and that corrected the issue.

I would believe that he is having a cat problem. Mine did that. I had one set of my cats that were bad, it was so slow it couldn't get out of its own way! Had no power, RPM's would jump/downshift when I pressed the gas pedal, but still wouldn't move. No CEL either.

Plus running with a bad/clogged cat is bad for your exhaust valves too. Run it to long and you can have other issues. I notice he hasn't been back since reporting the issue.

I would assume since he has a 07 EB it should be a 5.4. I would put money on clogged cats.
This is a good place to start. The cat. I have his exact rig. 2k lbs you shouldn't even feel behind you. Something is definitely up like you suspect. The only time I feel what I'm towing in the below pic is if I'm on a long or steep grade or it's windy. Over 16k lbs GCW last time I towed...

30730280428_42cd4399b1_z.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 weeks since his original post, that's just flat out rude! When are these members going to understand, you just have to repost. Their on their iPhones/Android phones 18 hours a day, 5 minutes for a response is just courtesy.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk