Need suggestion for Aftermarket stereo for 2006 Limited with DVD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 2006 Limited Expedition with the Rear DVD. The main unit in the dash is stock, and the 6-disc changer is dying on me. I want to replace that unit with an aftermarket stereo, and I want it all to work like it does now... only with an extra aux port for my satellite receiver. :)

I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what the heck to buy. I figure I need a stereo that can handle multiple aux devices or an av device? Maybe a stereo with an aux port or Audio/Video port in the back?

Can anyone offer any suggestions or tell me what I need to look for when purchasing the replacement stereo? What kind of connections should it have? How many?

I'm not going to try and install something like this myself. I'll have a pro do it. I just want to know what stereo to buy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Follow up on the connections question. I'm guessing that I just need to get a unit that has some RCA inputs in the rear? I haven't pulled out the factory unit yet, so not sure how the DVD is currently hooked into it. But if I just get a new unit with RCA inputs can that be made to work?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Thanks michaelinchains. I have been to that site and I have used the "see if it fits" tool they have. I thought that was just to find units that would physically fit in the dash? Does that tool also select models that will work with the possible factory combinations for the Expeditions as well?

Appreciate the advice!

michaelinchains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
id say call or email a rep at crutchfield,tell em what u have and what u want..take and write down theyre recommendations and i found its cheaper to buy elsewhere,like ebay

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st...what do you want with the HU (head unit)...dvd capability? bluetooth? navigation? cd only? what are you trying to hook up for the aux input? tv/monitors? ipod? then we can better help you. 90% of the HU with have rear in/outputs and will vary in quantity...are you looking at adding sub/amp now or in the future?

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hi FREEWAY,

1st...what do you want with the HU (head unit)...dvd capability? bluetooth? navigation? cd only? what are you trying to hook up for the aux input? tv/monitors? ipod? then we can better help you. 90% of the HU with have rear in/outputs and will vary in quantity...are you looking at adding sub/amp now or in the future?

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. I have four goals:

1. The most important goal is keep my factory installed overhead DVD player AND for it to play its sound through the Expedition's sound system - just like it does now. For that I assume that I need a Head Unit with some sort of auxillary port or RCA "in" ports on the back of the new unit?

2. I want my steering controls to work. So I assume that I need to buy a Head Unit that is set up for this as well as some sort of adapter. I recently had to do this with the wife's Pathfinder...so I am guessing the same applies for my expedition?

3. Also I have a Sirius Starmate 4 satellite receiver that is currently wired into the Head Unit with an FM modulator. I want to get rid of the FM modulator a plug it into an auxilliary port.

4. I want bluetooth - both audio streaming, and hands free. I figure I don't need to do anything here other then buy a system that has this integrated into it.

That's it! Hopefully I am not setting my expectations too high. All I need to know here is what to look for in a new head unit. I'm not planning on trying to install this myself. I plan on taking this to a professional for that. :)

Thanks for the great advice so far everyone.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hi Stoned06,

This thread will help to show the connections you have, and what may be needed to make everything work.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=6296&highlight=kenwood+dnx-5140

So after reading this thread, it appears that I need to make sure I purchase the DVD harness he referrs to.... As well as make sure I get a new head unit with some RCA Audio IN ports.

"Since I wanted the overhead DVD player still to function, I had a few more steps. You can go one of two ways here. First is to buy the PIE FRD03-DVD harness that plugs into the DVD radio harness. It has power and ground leads, and audio RCA plugs that go into the head unit’s AUX in ports. This works only if you have the Audio IN ports on your radio (obviously), and you want the DVD player to perform like it was from the factory….ie audio over the car speakers. I did not have the RCA ports, nor did I want the player to be like that from the factory."

Thanks for pointing me at this link!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1