New and need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Sarge

Reaction score
2000 Expedition XLT
Triton V8, 5.4L... nothing special yet (just bought it a few months ago).
*Active duty military in Ohio.

Ok, so after replacing a half melted EGR sensor, EGR sensor hoses, EGR valve, flushing coolant system, replacing a radiator, hoses, and thermostat Ex runs great! (still no heat in the back when I turn the fan on full but I haven't found any threads addressing the FIX)

...30 minutes later, the Ex starts sputtering and spitting white-ish exhaust (its cold here) and it smells like rotten eggs. (bad cat I hope is the white smoke culprit, no milkshake oil thankfully)

Driver side cats are rattling like pebbles inside, o2 sensor to that cat and o2 sensor after the second cat is toast (haven't checked the pass-side cats or sensors yet).

***I don't care about emissions testing or whats legal, I am just curious if I will throw codes without a delete on the rear o2 sensors and how it will affect performance for good, bad, or ugly...HELP

Questions are:

Can I put one new cat on each side, replace all o2 sensors and just pop in some new inlets for the post-cat o2 sensors and has anyone done this?

I read on here about rear cat deletes for the o2 sensors... How do I delete them and what kind of tuner would I need?

Lastly, I am on a military single income family of 3 budget...looking for a cheap but effective solution without creating additional problems to my Ex.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and experiences.

:shooter:

Also, it's currently throwing the infamous P0171 & P0174 codes... PCV hose and elbows felt/looked good, clean MAF sensor, I am going to clean the throttle body later and check out the PCV valve later as well...could this be from a clogged cat? Or that I put a K&N air filter on it?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome... but try and keep questions on one thread.... and start new threads for other problems... that way we can keep everything on one page for all responses

wink

Reaction score
2000 Expedition XLT
Triton V8, 5.4L... nothing special yet (just bought it a few months ago).
*Active duty military in Ohio.

Ok, so after replacing a half melted EGR sensor, EGR sensor hoses, EGR valve, flushing coolant system, replacing a radiator, hoses, and thermostat Ex runs great! (still no heat in the back when I turn the fan on full but I haven't found any threads addressing the FIX)

...30 minutes later, the Ex starts sputtering and spitting white-ish exhaust (its cold here) and it smells like rotten eggs. (bad cat I hope is the white smoke culprit, no milkshake oil thankfully)

Driver side cats are rattling like pebbles inside, o2 sensor to that cat and o2 sensor after the second cat is toast (haven't checked the pass-side cats or sensors yet).

***I don't care about emissions testing or whats legal, I am just curious if I will throw codes without a delete on the rear o2 sensors and how it will affect performance for good, bad, or ugly...HELP

Questions are:

Can I put one new cat on each side, replace all o2 sensors and just pop in some new inlets for the post-cat o2 sensors and has anyone done this?

I read on here about rear cat deletes for the o2 sensors... How do I delete them and what kind of tuner would I need?

Lastly, I am on a military single income family of 3 budget...looking for a cheap but effective solution without creating additional problems to my Ex.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and experiences.

:shooter:

Also, it's currently throwing the infamous P0171 & P0174 codes... PCV hose and elbows felt/looked good, clean MAF sensor, I am going to clean the throttle body later and check out the PCV valve later as well...could this be from a clogged cat? Or that I put a K&N air filter on it?

Most typical problem would be failing coils or ignitor in the distributor this needs to be checked. if you mind checking on some mechanic or since your in Ohio I could refer you on one of the shops on Ohio auto repair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik