P0059 and P2197 with some diagnostics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GEONV

Reaction score
Well, this expedition has been a bucket of fun I tell you! I went to take it to get it smogged and was going through the emissions readiness monitors- got em all to be good and then got a check engine light- P0059 and P2197 which indicate drivers side upstream O2 sensor.

I checked in Forscan and saw I had a heater current of 22mA (Min value is 230 mA), and that O2 sensor didn't show any swing in the voltages. I bought a new sensor and same issue (Naturally- why do I keep doing this?). In the wiring diagram it shows 4 wires- Yellow/Light blue which is how the PCM switches the heater on via ground- wire shows connectivity to the PCM- does not show continuity to ground though, Red/Black which is O2 sensor signal has continuity to PCM. Gray/Red (signal wire from O2 sensor- reads same signal as PCM is reading, has continuity to PCM). Red/Yellow which is power to O2 sensor- shows 12 volts and has continuity to PCM.

I verified that the O2 sensor is not actually heating up, neither the old or the new one. All the wires look good- does this mean a PCM problem?

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
Tricky tricky. Has continuity to wire going into the pcm connector but not to the inside of the connector! Yellow/light blue.

OP
OP
G

GEONV

Reaction score
That was it! Fixed it. Connector the pcm wasn’t making good contact. Reshaped the connector after depinning it and now it’s reading perfectly and heating up properly. IMG_5413.jpegIMG_5412.jpeg

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep connector was gonna be my suggestion. Glad to see you figured it out.

Well done on the troubleshooting and thanks for sharing details start to finish.