New autolite plugs broken tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jeeze, I run Autolites in a blown 92 Mustang. I never had an issue with them.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the correct plugs in there? I just put a set of Autolites in our 460 jet boat. Maybe switch over to Motorcraft.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'd also do a compression test to make sure that the pistons, rings or valves aren't damaged. The steel of the spark plug is much stronger than the aluminum piston, so if they made contact... it ain't good.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stopped running Autolites after having a couple break on me. The ceramic had separated from the metal. It happened to a buddy's foxbody too. Switched to NGK's and never had another issue.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Scarface

Reaction score
Well when I went into two different napa auto part stores and told them I had a
2005 expedition with a 5.4 3v I was sold the same plugs by both stores. If they are the wrong plugs then I will be pissed. My brother has a camera that I can fit through the spark plug holes to see the pistons. But I also found that one of my cam phasers it down.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Since you never mentioned exactly which plugs you put in, have you gone online and double checked the application? Autolite says that it's an HT15

Part Details

If one NAPA store has the wrong listing, then it would just follow that the other one would too.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Can you post photo of the spark plug?

Spark plug can be damaged by mechanical means or from serious detonation. One guess would be detonation due to failing fuel injector. It should be impossible for the piston to make contact with the spark plug unless something broke internally. Maybe the plug was damaged prior to install and it was just a matter of time before it failed.

Last edited:

Scarface

Reaction score
I took my brothers camera and checked my pistons. They look fine. The spark plugs say ht15 on them. The only thing I haven't replaced yet are the injectors. If the injectors are failing what would be some signs?