New Bilstein front & rear shocks on 4th Gen Expedition - new answers with experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced front and rear shocks ( Bilsteins ) due to leaking at 39k in 4/23. Replaced frt. and rear swaybars with Hellwig at the same time. Present time 6/24 with 44k I am completely satisfied with there performance. 2019 Expy XLT 202a package. I had never expienced leaking shocks in all my vehicles I have owned. All Fords and I owned many.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried Rancho 9000XL's on these ? Thats what I put on my 2002 F250 diesel, made a HUGE difference over whatever generic shocks the previous owner had put on that 250000 mile truck. I ended up with the fronts on '5' and the rears on '7' which was pretty stiff but worked great when towing a moderately light trailer. The '02 F250 had leaf springs in back with a stock overload leaf, so its suspension was nothing like the Expy... I didn't mess with the swaybars as it really didn't sway much.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried Rancho 9000XL's on these ? Thats what I put on my 2002 F250 diesel, made a HUGE difference over whatever generic shocks the previous owner had put on that 250000 mile truck. I ended up with the fronts on '5' and the rears on '7' which was pretty stiff but worked great when towing a moderately light trailer. The '02 F250 had leaf springs in back with a stock overload leaf, so its suspension was nothing like the Expy... I didn't mess with the swaybars as it really didn't sway much.
I have no experience with a Gen 4 Expedition. I have always been very satisfied with Rancho shocks and struts though. As noted the difference can be incredible and if you mess with the adjustment it will teach you what a shock/strut really does.

I have them on my 2004 Expedition and they have been great. I just replaced all 4 under warranty after 8yrs and I think 108k miles, so good. I have them at 6 front and 4 rear. When I tow car trailers I crank them all to 9 and it handles the trailer so much better. Long road trips I soften them a bit to 4 front and 2 rear, if there's a load in the back I adjust for that.