New guy here, typical problems it seems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86scotty

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here but not new to Fords and have had a few 5.4s in the vans. I just picked up an 05 Eddie Bauer (3v) to drive for awhile. It has 170k on it but is pretty clean. The good news, sort of, is that it had a dealer warrantied engine replacement at 70k, so it actually just has 100k on the engine. I brought it home, checked the fluids, changed oil and filter and hooked it up to my travel trailer to go out last weekend.
It didn't go as I had hoped. An hour up the road it was missing at idle when I was refueling. I have a lot of records and the PO had just had it tuned up and 3 coils replaced. I figured it was just another coil, then I learned all about VCTs and all the cam phaser issues. I found this forum in the process. I just got new VCT solenoids today and will replace this weekend. The other problem I'm having besides rough idle when hot (which smooths out at higher RPM) is that I have some sort of backfire/popping occasionally under load. I'll hear a series of muted pops from underneath which sound like backfires terminating in the cats or exhaust. It has done this twice and as soon as I let off the throttle it stops and doesn't do it again for awhile. I have searched the internet and I have found all the other problems with this engine but not this one. Any ideas?
Other info: I found paperwork from the dealer and the front cats were replaced right before the engine (before 70k).

Any info appreciated

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

It may be time for a spark plug change. Read up on doing this before you jump into it - these aren't engines from the 60's and forgiving. Make sure you follow the torque spec's for the plugs.

OP
OP

86scotty

Reaction score
Wow! I did the Gotts mod, cleaned MAF and throttle body, new air filter (Spectre) and did my VCT solenoids. This thing runs like a scalded dog now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk