New here Houston TX need help determining if my 4.6l is 2 or 3 valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrotherG81

Reaction score
So I also have a question that I hope can get answered. I have an 04 expedition 2 wheel drive rwd 4.6l W in the 8th spot in my vin I know its a windsor engine cuz of the W now I have the V shaped timing cover but I think its a 2 valve but have read it could also be a 3 valve I need to k ow how can you tell where do I look to find out both of my timing chains need to be replaced the one on the passenger side put a whole in my timing cover and if my expedition is a 2 valve I can't find it in the 4.6L can find it in the 5.4 3 valve all day lomg. So if anyone could please tell me how to determine if mine is a 2 valve or 3 valve would be greatly appreciated

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2v

W is 2v, 8 is 3v
But plastic valve covers is 2v and 3v have aluminum for all that I have seen.
The 4.6 2v is the most common ford modular ever made.
All the crown vics, grand marquis, town cars and mustangs up to 04 had them.

Intakes and heads vary but timing covers should be about the same.
The cars and some vans had a 6 row serp belt and expeditions and maybe some/all trucks has an 8 row.
You can use either in most cases.
I put a 6 row engine in an 8 row truck and only had to swap balancer and put washers behind one idler pulley and longer bolt to move it out a bit.

If you were putting a 6 row cover on a 8 row it should be the same situation but only needing the longer bolt and washers as you would already have the right balancer pulley to go back on.