New member from Central Illinois

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xpathfinder

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm definely a newbie to this board and to the FORD family. I just recently (Saturday Afternoon) pick up my first Ford and its a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition 5.4l Expedition. A good buddy of mine knew a guy that had to get rid of it because it would not pass emmission. Gas tank would not hold pressure. my faithful old Pathy was starting to show her age of 23 yrs and 130,000 miles. Dont get me wrong she still a strong old gal but it was time to upgrade since the old family grew a little and it was a sweet deal. Plus the 16 yr old need a good starter vehicle so Im going to let her drive the Pathy until she moves out or the old gal dies.
I can see that I will get a lot of good information from this site and I hope that I can leaned a helping hand when I can. My stable contains a 97 Expedition, 87 Pathy, 01 Chevy Xtreme, 02 Caravan, and a 86 - Yamaha Virago.

My Eddie B is all stock right now. Im hoping to be able to do some mods to it and long as the old lady doesnt get to mad at me... lol I think my 1 job is to get it to breathe better for a little better MPG and then work on the rest of it. O almost forgot that Im going to have to work on the stereo but I dont think I will have to add too much maybe new door speakers and a new sub since the old one is blown. Y would they put a screw in the back of the speaker? Geez it not like it a 12 woofer with a 2000 w going to it. I have a pair of kicker 8s that would work perfect in there (going to make the 16yr old mad) and if the stock amp isnt enough I have a R\F amp that will do the job.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome and yes mods mods and more mods... an expy is never done... just ask my wife ROFLMAO

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wecome. I know what you mean about the rear screw in the sub!?! I am in Highland, IL about 2.5 hrs from you. What do you plan on doing to breathe it better? I am wanting to do that as well. My wife already said duals with no mufflers are out of the question. I had a 97 f150 with that setup and it ruined her on loud exhaust. LOL

OP
OP
X

Xpathfinder

Reaction score
I honestly dont know yet. still mowing over the different ways... I'm thinking about doing a K&N filter system and maybe exhaust. I'm trying to get my neighbor to pay for the exhaust, she is complaining that its not loud enough. My pathy had an exhaust leak for about two years then fix it with a custom Y- pipe and turbo muffler. Just loud enough to let them know that it was 530 in the morning and I was leaving for work. I guess they will have to wait until I can start riding the bike (straight pipes) again to have their 530 wake up call. lol other than that I dont know. I will have to do a little more research on the chips and programmers. Need to talk to our mechanic at work that own Fords to see what they think.

Had to laugh, there was guy selling a chip on EBAY claiming that it would give you 40mpg and performance.. and the chip was only like $20.00. OK, I'm going to get that one.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got me thinking I need to make an exhaust vid to post so people can hear my set up.... true dual with flowmaster 40s and 2 cats have been deleted on my 5.4.... it sounds nice when you get on the gas but no real drone when driving normally compared to my old 97 that was straight piped

As for programmers you cant beat Edge.... which I still need lol

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm near Belleville, about 2.5 hrs from you also..

I have the duals with no mufflers, and I'm here to tell ya...its freaking loud...not so bad at idle, but about 2 grand its loud enough to have to turn up the radio.

My neighbors hate me...I leave at 5am, and when the trans is in sleep mode, it wont shift until 2200rpms....lol

OP
OP
X

Xpathfinder

Reaction score
lol... I do have a cutoff wheel at home and a compressor to run that cutoff wheel.. dont tempt me... I really dont think the babysitter would mind that much.. for the rest of them, sucks being them... lol But I think that the little lady would cut me off :mad: if I woke her up every morning with the loud pipes. lol

wink

Reaction score
hello i am assigned to illinois for my work. been hooking around in this area and i have found an interesting place. the illinois auto repair shops are a good place to go for a guy like me.

Last edited:

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I'm in Belleville area and picked up my Expy late last year. So what did you end up doing to get the expy to pass emissions?