New Member - Lifting my 2000 Expy - Hunting Lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soldatlamour

Reaction score
I'm new to a deer lease, and my stock F150 King Ranch will be destroyed if I use it to get around! So, I'm buying my College Sr. a graduation present (new car) and going to take his (my !) 2000 Expy ( 2WD) and use as a lease vehicle.

I could make it around most of the lease with my F150, but it was getting scratched badly. Also, there were several areas that my clearance was not high enough.

So..... If I can get a few more inches on my axle (3-4 should be enough) on the Expy I should be good to go.

To that end, what is the most economical way to get some lift? I've researched a bit and found that there are Suspension Lifts ( = costly ) Body Lifts (= not free, but cheaper) and Lift Leveler kits (do these actually add real lift?).

I suspect that I'll need to do a Body Lift (3-x inches) and then buy some larger diameter tires. What combo of Body Lift height and Tire Size will get me 3+ inches on the axle ?

Thank you for your patience to this newbie !

mps

OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Treycool --- Thank You !

TreyCool - thanks for such a quick and succinct response.

I "you tubed" the Leveling Key installation, and this guy did a 3 part video on installation --- it didn't look that hard to do.

The back ... well, his video was a bit spartan on that installation, but I can't imagine it's that difficult.

Let' say I put on the 2" Keys and the 3" spacers in the rear, what do you recommend as the largest tires I can put on to get the axle lifted?

Also --- do you have a front bumper recommendation onto which I can add a Winch?

thanks so much,
mps

turtlejoe

Reaction score
If you're really trying to get 3-4 additional inches of axle clearance, you're going to need tires 6-8" larger in diameter than what you already have. Tire size increase is the only thing that will lift the diff further off the ground. Then size your lift required accordingly. I'm sure 37's are doable, but that seems to be a pretty expensive "doable". Just my $.02.

OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
I think I'm getting it.... ?

So - To remain economical and just do the Torsion Keys and the Rear Spacers I should get about 2" of lift.

With that I can MAY be able to put on 35" tires (4" taller than stock ) and I will have an additional 2" axle clearance?

Trey - I very, very much appreciate all the links you're sending. If I can squeeze 2" of axle rise with the lower cost fix I will go that route to see how the Expy does on the deer lease.

I'm thinking about adding that hidden winch you sent me JUST IN CASE i get hung up ! ! !

thanks!

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the keys will give you 2.5" of lift but you can also crank the keys to get an additional 2" of lift( i think i have not done this myself but have read alot about it) you will need to do this if you plan on running 35's

Last edited:

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if his expy is 2wd dosent it not have torsion keys then? if its 2wd i think a suspension lift kit is alot ceaper then a 4wd lift kit