new strut opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strokerih

Reaction score
so im looking to replace my struts. im looking a either doing just the struts with KYB's or getting complete strut and spring replacements with Monroe's. what do u guys think? about $150 difference between the two.

OP
OP
S

strokerih

Reaction score
wow thanks for the completely worthless comment. im glad to know im spending my money.

thank you. i kinda figured the whole assembly would be the better way to go.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What it really boils down to is it is your choice your money and your decision Does it really matter what others think.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go just the strut route the Koni adjustables are great. If you go with the Monroe combo units they'll do Ok too but lack the adjustability. The only ones I would avoid are the Bilstein HD yellow struts. They are harsh riding and can cause strut mount failures.

-Mike

Bronco79

Reaction score
I just did the rear struts on my 03 and I chose Monroe quik struts.
When you buy the struts(sans springs) you don't get the upper strut mount.
Soooo the strut and mount cost more than the quik strut plus you would
have to disassemble the spring and put it in the new strut.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently changed out my struts on my 05 expedition. I probably spent way to much time researching, but I reviewed the Monroes, KYB, Rancho, Bilstein etc. I ended up going with the Bilstein HD yellow (in my case the Bilsteins are not harsh in fact is a nice ride. Along with the Bilsteins I replaced the coil springs with Moog Constant rate springs (originals are variable) and unfortunately our expys dont have a lot of spring options. I also replaced the top strut mounts.

I think for you it should depend on your purpose and goal for the vehicle. I have a 4WD that I do take off road, so I leveled the front 3.5 rear 2.5 and put on 35's. I also drive about 4k a month and have on this set up on for about 9 months now. With the constant rate springs and Bilsteins when I hit a hard bump it is firm. But I wanted the truck not to drop fast when going over rocks and ruts. Again just driving is very good.

From research I did the Monroe set up the strut was soft and dropped off quicker over time.

J

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65