New strut seized. Will not compress during install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed new struts yesterday. Used original springs. Bilstein 4600.

The top bolts didn't line up. Leaving the bottom end in the bracket, I used my hands to twist the top just enough to line it up. Installed and appears fine.

Same thing on the other side but this time I could not twist the top with my hands. Leaving the bottom in the bracket, I put the nuts on the threaded studs and used a pry bar and with just some pressure, twisted the top just enough to fit again. Installed the strut and use the jack to slowly lift the assembly up. When I went to attach the hub to the upper control arm, I found I could not lift the The hub far enough. I look to make sure nothing was binding anywhere, and try it again. This time I noticed I was able to lift the vehicle off the jack. The strut is not compressing!

This is only maybe the 13th strut I've ever replaced so I have limited experience but I've never experienced this.

I would love some help.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call Bilstein get a new one.
It happens their CS is top notch and should get you fixed up quick.

Did it come compressed?
All I have ever ordered come compressed.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I tried twisting it back and noticed the spring is bowed out. Scared me, so I quit working on it. I'll bring it back to the shop where we switched them out in the morning...

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am also assuming we are talking an strut is seized at extension and not compression.
I reread your post and noticed that you were able to rotate the first by hand and the second had to apply the nuts and use a prybar. I am guessing bolting and the prybar was enough of a force multiplier causing something to bind internally while rotating.

You generally don't want to rotate the shock/strut much especially on quality aftermarket units as the internals are built to pretty tight tolerances.

In the future especially with reusing the the factory spring, top hat, and lower spring perch you want to make linear index marks on the top hat, spring, and, spring perch, in line with the bolt opening on the strut so that when you install the new strut to the factory parts you know it will slide right back into place and only have to move/rotate it ever so slightly to get your top hat to line up.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BFFE53AE-22C5-4C9D-8A27-696E491B872C.jpeg
All my shocks and struts have arrived like this so having a seized extended strut is pretty unlikely.
Compressed a possibility but one would know as soon as you cut the band.
I am limited to Limited to Bilstein, Koni, and Monroe (don't judge I was selling the car and just wanted to get rid of the front end float for the sale) but all have arrived compressed and banded.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did it come compressed?
All I have ever ordered come compressed.

I don't know how 'compressed' it was when it was received (new, in a Bilstein box). But once, the nut was screwed on and the spring compressor was let off, then it was whatever length it needed to be, I imagine. However, when jacking up the lower control arm/hub to bring it up to the UCA, there ceased to be any more movement. I made sure nothing was binding - like the bottom end of the stab link which hadn't been connected yet, etc., and found nothing in the way. Now that the spring is bowed out to the side, I'm scared to mess with it.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
Good YouTube video on how to install using Koni's. But it's the same process. Discusses how to align the spring/strut prior to installing in order not to have what you're experiencing. Good choice of shocks tho. FoMoCo's are junk from the factory. And Monroe's allow bounce back. Koni's and Bilsteins are my fave!

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to twist the strut back the other way and then I noticed the spring was bowing out on one side.it wasn't lining up good at all and I got nervous about it so I took it back to the shop to have the shock absorber taken out and reinstalled. While we were letting the pressure back on the spring, the little snap ring that keeps the bottom bracket in place came out of its groove. I called Bilstein the other number on their website and all I got were impatient guys that told me to go talk to the distributor. I bought my shocks on Amazon so I contacted the seller. They are issuing an RMA number and I have ordered a new strut. It will arrive today. I'll check out that video on aligning everything properly and hopefully this install will go smoothly.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will mention that after doing the rear struts and stabilizer links the previous week, the ride was so much improved it was amazing. If I had stopped there, I'd probably be happy right now. When that snap ring slipped, it adds doubt.