New to me 05 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Bought a one owner (delivered 12/04 lien satisfied 01/05) with 200K. Normal wear for 15 years old but def better shape than most. I have been watching every makuloco video about the 5.4 3v after finding out from the owner that the engine has never been worked on. Plugs and cop's at 100k and then at 200k and a throttle body motor last Dec. No ticking or knocking (took it off the road because of 2nd shift lag hoping it is check balls) and the oil has always been changed. My plan is to go through all the wear items over the next six months: brakes, diff fluids, ball joints/bushings and timing chains etc. With no indicator of trouble (knocking) should I change the phasers also or just do the chains, vct, and oil pump? Any other advice about these vehicles?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geez, I would hate to go to the trouble of replacing the chains and oil pump and not replace the phasers, since they are the main culprit of grief with the early 3V motors. Ford redesigned the phasers too, so the replacement Ford parts you buy will be upgraded over what came in that engine. They also offer a high volume oil pump for the 3V as well.

OP
OP
P

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Thanks Ham, I was planning to get the Melling high volume pump. The phasers are so expensive but while I am in there might as well.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Melling in my 5.4 Expy. But Cloyes, Melling, Ford, are all gonna be very good parts and you could use either. But I see that Ford has finally come out with their own high volume oil pump for the 3V as well. Either one would be fine. Yes, when you're that deep into the motor you might as well replace the phasers. Since they've been upgraded by Ford, and the '05 was the biggest phaser issue motor since it was the first year of that motor. Inspect the valve rockers too. They are a high failure item for that year. Mainly because of the oil starvation on the passenger side cylinder head and cam shaft. Then when you get all done, run at least a 10w-30 synthetic oil in it, and not that 5w-20 crap.

This is a very good kit .... oil pump is also here....
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Camshaf...1592489109&sprefix=Ford+Phaser,aps,187&sr=8-5

Or you can pick individual pieces from Rock Auto.....
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2005,expedition,5.4l+v8,1433355,engine,timing+set,5756

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2005,expedition,5.4l+v8,1433355,engine,oil+pump,5564

CountrySplatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Ham. And thanks for the questions, Pastor. I am the 2nd owner of our 2004 Expy, and literally haven't done much more than change the oil on ours (AC Compressor and Gas tank replacement being the whole list). I hadn't thought much about the engine with the wear and tear on internal parts. Dang... Ours has been a solid workhorse, even after my oldest putting it through 200ft of barbed wire and telephone poles for fence posts. I did notice that it is slightly lacking on power lately, though. You gave me some food for thought on what I should really be doing to maintain this poor truck... <embarrassed look>:boxed::boxed: