NEWB!! Rough Idle, won't take gas, once gas comes up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
So.....
Replaced the fuel pump. That was the hardest easy fix I've done in a while....at least the bolts didn't break to hold the tank up..Also had a motorcycle lift to hold up the tank, much more stable than a regular lift. It looked original.

Just to make sure, I thought there was only 1 4.6 in 98, the SOHC, but to confirm, my VIN has W4W in the middle.

Anyway, not sure what the fuel pressure is now, as I gave the tool back to pay for the pump, but the engine will now take gas. In the beginning of revving the motor, it is sluggish, but once the revs go up above 1000, the gas response is instant, but before was not. If I feather the gas, I can keep the revs up and everything sounds fine. The problem is the idle and in gear.

At idle at start, it is still low, 3-400RPM. If I rev the motor up and get it warmed up, I get the idles to stay at 750 or so without any pedal input from me. It runs smoothish at that level.

If I put it in gear and try to give it gas, it will not take it and will shut down.

As before, I have my thoughts, but appreciate the input of others.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So.....
Replaced the fuel pump. That was the hardest easy fix I've done in a while....at least the bolts didn't break to hold the tank up..Also had a motorcycle lift to hold up the tank, much more stable than a regular lift. It looked original.

Just to make sure, I thought there was only 1 4.6 in 98, the SOHC, but to confirm, my VIN has W4W in the middle.

Anyway, not sure what the fuel pressure is now, as I gave the tool back to pay for the pump, but the engine will now take gas. In the beginning of revving the motor, it is sluggish, but once the revs go up above 1000, the gas response is instant, but before was not. If I feather the gas, I can keep the revs up and everything sounds fine. The problem is the idle and in gear.

At idle at start, it is still low, 3-400RPM. If I rev the motor up and get it warmed up, I get the idles to stay at 750 or so without any pedal input from me. It runs smoothish at that level.

If I put it in gear and try to give it gas, it will not take it and will shut down.

As before, I have my thoughts, but appreciate the input of others.

Thanks again.

It sounds like some serious issues, get a code reader and check the ECU for current or previous codes before you start trying to buy tons more parts.. Or you may start seeing more cash leaving you're account and nothing to show for it

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Thanks Exia,
I went and got a code reader this evening.
No codes stored.....

Right now the only thing I can think of is maybe the inside of the muffler collapsed and there is not enough flow. It feels like normal flow through, but what do I know.

When I started it, it ran at about 300-400 RPM. After about 30-45 seconds it stayed consistently at 500-600RPM. Still takes a minute to take gas, but again, once it is getting gas, it is consistently responsive.

Other idea was maybe the idle air control module.....

I sure hope this thing can get working. My daughter asked me tonight why I replaced our broken truck with another broken truck.......The truth spoken by a 4 year old....

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, thats an interesting problem. No codes and it still runs rough at initial start up? Did you replace the fuel filter as well? Also can you drive it at all to see how it responds under load?

I understand getting some truth from your young ones. Mine have done that to me as well.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Exia,
I went and got a code reader this evening.
No codes stored.....

Right now the only thing I can think of is maybe the inside of the muffler collapsed and there is not enough flow. It feels like normal flow through, but what do I know.

When I started it, it ran at about 300-400 RPM. After about 30-45 seconds it stayed consistently at 500-600RPM. Still takes a minute to take gas, but again, once it is getting gas, it is consistently responsive.

Other idea was maybe the idle air control module.....

I sure hope this thing can get working. My daughter asked me tonight why I replaced our broken truck with another broken truck.......The truth spoken by a 4 year old....

That is extremely weird..

Ok normal idle on that should be 600 to 650 ( I am using mine as a template ) try and start it, get it running walking out and put you're hand over the exhaust, see how much pressure is coming out..

Get a tester to test the fuel system, just to see how much you have going through the system, it could be the filter is clogged. I would say could be a injector issue, but since you are not throwing and codes that kinda eliminates that.

Try those two things and let us know..

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you again,

In feeling for the exhaust, how much pressure should I be feeling for?

Should be a constant pressure.. If its pushing your hand away, or if it takes some effort to keep your hand near the outlet, you have descent exhaust, but if you can basicly cup the pipe with your hand with little resistance, exhaust could be, becoming clogged.. And again since you have no codes throwing, I am going to be reluctant to say the cats are bad..

Also I have been thinking, go and grab a bottle of HEET for the fuel, you may have water in the gas, if you see a difference, after that, than change filter and drain the fuel

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Ok, got in tonight and no real pressure from exhaust out.... just the lub lub with the engine. I could easily keep my hand there.

I was thinking that the gas may be bad as well. No telling when the PO last filled up. I'll get the HEET tonight and in her for tomorrow. When you say replace the filter do you mean again? It is a brand new one.

I was going to unhook the muffler (my neighbors' hate me anyway) and see it that is where the blockage may be. I'm not sure is I'll get to it tomorrow with the weather, ISAAC is supposed to show up here tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you as always, all help is greatly appreciated by myself, my wife, and my overly honest 4 year old.