NEWB!! Rough Idle, won't take gas, once gas comes up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking its probably a blockage in the exhaust. Don't replace the filter again. You did put it in going the right direction, yes? I haven't replaced one on my truck yet so I don't know if it can be put in backwards. But its worth a thought.

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, got in tonight and no real pressure from exhaust out.... just the lub lub with the engine. I could easily keep my hand there.

I was thinking that the gas may be bad as well. No telling when the PO last filled up. I'll get the HEET tonight and in her for tomorrow. When you say replace the filter do you mean again? It is a brand new one.

I was going to unhook the muffler (my neighbors' hate me anyway) and see it that is where the blockage may be. I'm not sure is I'll get to it tomorrow with the weather, ISAAC is supposed to show up here tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you as always, all help is greatly appreciated by myself, my wife, and my overly honest 4 year old.

any results yet? and no dont put another fuel filter on it. How much gas is in it? if its not much you could add octaine booster to it and run it out.
Is there any smoke of any color comming out just for chance sake?

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Has only about 5 gallons in there.....Added HEET and 104 Booster (did you know that according to the bottles HEET is from the makers of 104 and 104 is from the makers of HEET!) Thought that was cross marketing at its best...

Anyway, no difference, but I did notice that the flange was popping with back pressure on the driver side. I think the only reason that it would have that much back pressure is if the exhaust was blocked. I know I tightened them down, but could be a blessing that I didn't enough.

I'll take the muffler off as soon as it is dry enough to crawl underneath. I think I may add another 5 gallons of fresh gas just to make sure.

I do know that when I left the gas sitting out over night after the pump and filter replacement, it was varnish by morning. I'm not sure if that is true when you leave fresh gas out, I think I should do a tester. Anyone else ever leave fresh gas out without a cover?

I think we're getting closer for sure.....I just need to keep going and not get frustrated too bad.

As usually, THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nah leaving it out overnight wont hurt other than trash getting into it. well you have 4 cats and 1 muffler, if you disconect your muffler and no help its going to be the cats . But as long as it set not running it could very well be a damn be old be hive in the muffler lol.

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
No cats....
Took muffler off this morning and same thing. I'm going to get some fresh gas today. Starting to get frustrated and I'd hate to put good gas into a truck that won't run.

We'll see this afternoon. What bothers me the most is that it is only at idle. Once I'm able to get it above 1000RPM, the engine is completely responsive. I haven't had it under load at that yet, but the engine seems fine once it gets "going".

Is there a pressure regulator anywhere? I gave back to fuel pressure tester when I got a new pump. I'm going to get it back and check to make sure there is pressure at the rail.

Any other ideas are greatly helpful.

Last edited: