Newbie - learning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
Just bought a used 17 Ltd 4x4. Based on some threads I read, this model came standard with the HD towing package so does this mean that mean that my GCWR is 15,200 and max towing is 9,200? The axle ratio is 3.31

I am trying to gather all my data and numbers before we purchase a travel trailer.

OP
OP
R

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
After digging through the manual, it looks like because I have the HD package, max towing is 9200.

more questions to come, I'm sure, as I continue to do my research

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search "payload." It's more important than the towing number. Or look at my post history.

OP
OP
R

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
These are the numbers I was able to dig up. I wasn't sure on the curb weight and the cargo capacity. 5789 for curb weight and 1620 cargo capacity is what I found when I used a VIN decoder but the sticker on the driver side door shows a cargo capacity of 1415. Based on what I've read on this forum, most people recommend taking the vehicle to the scale fully loaded to get an accurate weight. We don't plan on purchasing a trailer until next year, but I'd like to get an idea on what our max weight so we can do some research and look for floor plans.

GVWR 7,500
GCWR 15,200
FAWR 3,550
RAWR 4,300
TW 920
Curb Weight 5,789
Cargo Capacity 1415 (1620?)
Max Towing Cap. 9,200

m3bs

Reaction score
I didn’t think the HDT package was ever standard. When I was shopping for my ‘19, I found HDT to be a rare option. I looked at every new Expedition in SC, NC, and GA and found two of them.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn’t think the HDT package was ever standard. When I was shopping for my ‘19, I found HDT to be a rare option. I looked at every new Expedition in SC, NC, and GA and found two of them.

HD Tow was standard on Limited trims 2015 through 2017. Not sure about years before that.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are the numbers I was able to dig up. I wasn't sure on the curb weight and the cargo capacity. 5789 for curb weight and 1620 cargo capacity is what I found when I used a VIN decoder but the sticker on the driver side door shows a cargo capacity of 1415. Based on what I've read on this forum, most people recommend taking the vehicle to the scale fully loaded to get an accurate weight. We don't plan on purchasing a trailer until next year, but I'd like to get an idea on what our max weight so we can do some research and look for floor plans.

GVWR 7,500
GCWR 15,200
FAWR 3,550
RAWR 4,300
TW 920
Curb Weight 5,789
Cargo Capacity 1415 (1620?)
Max Towing Cap. 9,200
Are you an EL (Max) or a regular. Only the long body has a cargo capacity above 1600 lbs and has a 9100 lb max tow capacity for the 4x4. The regular Expedition is in the 1400's for capacity and gets a 9,200 max tow rating, with max tow package.

The Sticker on the b pillar frame is the correct number regardless of what you here or read anywhere else.

According to the brochure Limited, King Ranch, and Platinum all had HD Tow standard in 2017.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
Are you an EL (Max) or a regular. Only the long body has a cargo capacity above 1600 lbs and has a 9100 lb max tow capacity for the 4x4. The regular Expedition is in the 1400's for capacity and gets a 9,200 max tow rating, with max tow package.

The Sticker on the b pillar frame is the correct number regardless of what you here or read anywhere else.

According to the brochure Limited, King Ranch, and Platinum all had HD Tow standard in 2017.

Regular. Good to know on the cargo capacity. I kept seeing different numbers being thrown around. I want to be sure we're looking at travel trailers that are well within our ratings and we're not overloading anything.

Couple questions:
1. WDH - what are some good ones to look into? should I wait until I know what kind of trailer we are going to purchase? If that's the case, what's the average weight of a WDH so I can factor that into my payload.
2. I'm probably jumping the gun before I gather all the information, but I was looking at a few travel trailers. When looking at the specifications, the hitch weight is provided. Is that included in the actual dry weight of the trailer or should that count as "cargo capacity" for the trailer?

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally have an Equalizer WDH and it works well. My Expy is a 2018 (HD tow w/3.73 gears) and I pull a TT that is 6,200# dry, no I have never weighed it ready to tow. In my opinion once getting up to the 6,500 - 7,000# range UVW you will likely max out. My TT tows great even at up to 75mph, I would no way want to go any bigger. I added XL tires and Sumo springs to my Expy

OP
OP
R

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
I personally have an Equalizer WDH and it works well. My Expy is a 2018 (HD tow w/3.73 gears) and I pull a TT that is 6,200# dry, no I have never weighed it ready to tow. In my opinion once getting up to the 6,500 - 7,000# range UVW you will likely max out. My TT tows great even at up to 75mph, I would no way want to go any bigger. I added XL tires and Sumo springs to my Expy

I want to stay under 6-7k fully loaded on the trailer. We're not looking for anything big. At least for now. If we go bigger, we'll probably look into trucks just for the peace of mind. Can you attach a link for your WDH?