Next up: The water pump has failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 XLT, 97,*** miles. I noticed that classic hot antifreeze smell while sitting at a stop light Saturday.. When I got home I jacked up the front end, removed the skid plate that was soaked in coolant and saw the tell tale signs of a leaking water pump. This must not be a common failure on these engines since no auto chains near me carry the pump, not even half a dozen dealerships within 25 miles (and I live near a pretty large city). Nobody local could get a water pump before Wednesday, so I'm having one overnight-ed from Rock Auto.

Has anyone else here had a water pump fail on an EB Expedition?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 3.5 Eco is like it’s NA versions the 3.5 and 3.7 Duratec the water pump is internal. Check for milk oil asap if you are losing coolant.

OP
OP
MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's only internal on the transverse mounted engines (wrong wheel drive) due to space constraints. The expedition and F150 have an external water pump.

If the 3.5 EcoBoost is like it’s NA brother the 3.5 and 3.7 Duratec the water pump is internal. Check for milk oil asap if you are losing coolant.

OP
OP
MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has a 2011 Ford Edge with the 3.5 and the internal water pump, believe me, I keep a VERY close eye on it. There is a weep hole in the engine valley that you can't even see unless you remove the engine cover. If I do ever have to do a water pump on that thing it looks like a major PITA. Between that and the PTU that barely holds any gear oil, I really want to get rid of that car.

Thank God

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There could be a very easy and inexpensive fix for this. If the 3.5 Eco is anything like my Triton V8, the water pump has a giant O-ring around it where it connects to the engine block, which can start leaking.

After I removed my leaky water pump two months ago or so, I could clearly see that the likely source of the leak was this O-ring seal. Rockauto and other places sell new ones, or complete water pump assemblies with the seal. FYI, my water pump lasted 132,000 miles and it's an ex-cop car, so it must have some good idling time on it as well.

Btw, that Dexcool-like orange coolant Motorcraft uses is sh*t. Mine turned brownish and had gooey / sticky brown floaties in it, deposits of which could be found on the pump gasket and on the radiator cap. I suspect it's what made it leak, as it was stuck to the O-ring gasket in one place where the gasket got deformed. I flushed it all out and replaced with Prestone's green OAT coolant (suitable for all vehicles).

When replacing the pump, make sure to grease the O-ring before you put it back in, as it's very easy to pinch / damage this seal if you try to do it dry... also, use equal force on all sides when pushing it into place, then finish by torquing the bolts a little at a time so it goes in straight.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Water pump is also leaking in my 2015 XLT with 77k miles. Its under powertrain warranty, so I will be getting it addressed on Thursday.

OP
OP
MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done a water pump on a Ford modular v8 before, that was probably the best water pump design ever, one big oring. The water pump on these doesn't look particularly hard or anything, but it's not near as easy as those were.

2.JPG 1.JPG

There could be a very easy and inexpensive fix for this. If the 3.5 Eco is anything like my Triton V8, the water pump has a giant O-ring around it where it connects to the engine block, which can start leaking.

After I removed my leaky water pump two months ago or so, I could clearly see that the likely source of the leak was this O-ring seal. Rockauto and other places sell new ones, or complete water pump assemblies with the seal. FYI, my water pump lasted 132,000 miles and it's an ex-cop car, so it must have some good idling time on it as well.

Btw, that Dexcool-like orange coolant Motorcraft uses is sh*t. Mine turned brownish and had gooey / sticky brown floaties in it, deposits of which could be found on the pump gasket and on the radiator cap. I suspect it's what made it leak, as it was stuck to the O-ring gasket in one place where the gasket got deformed. I flushed it all out and replaced with Prestone's green OAT coolant (suitable for all vehicles).

When replacing the pump, make sure to grease the O-ring before you put it back in, as it's very easy to pinch / damage this seal if you try to do it dry... also, use equal force on all sides when pushing it into place, then finish by torquing the bolts a little at a time so it goes in straight.