Next up: The water pump has failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that indeed looks a little bit more involved than the Triton V8 water pump...

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its all that turbo plumbing. I'm guessing if you're a mechanic who works on this 3.5L EB everyday, that it can quickly become 2nd nature to undo all of this and it can be a relatively quick job. I mean, this video is only 18 minutes long, and while much is cut out, it also go slower since he it explaining his steps as it progresses.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm...

I can see plastic impellers inside that pump. Ford really cheaped out on this one, it seems... the V8 version I installed lately was all steel inside and had welded together impeller blades.

Scotty Kilmer says in one of his repair videos that the plastic impeller pumps have a tendency to fail a lot sooner. I wonder if it has anything to do with that, given that the EcoBoost has more torque than the V8?

sunesta232

Reaction score
I bought a Ford certified 15 Expedition EL Limited in July with 59k miles. Due to some issues at the dealer when I arrived to pick it up, they offered to deliver the truck to me (5 hours away). Hours after they dropped off the truck I noticed coolant leaking. I took it to my local dealer right away and they said everything is fine, no leaks. Got home again and it was pouring coolant. Took it right back to the dealer and they said the water pump was leaking and they didn't catch it the first time. I had to wait 3 days to get it back which seemed pretty excessive for a water pump.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a Ford certified 15 Expedition EL Limited in July with 59k miles. Due to some issues at the dealer when I arrived to pick it up, they offered to deliver the truck to me (5 hours away). Hours after they dropped off the truck I noticed coolant leaking. I took it to my local dealer right away and they said everything is fine, no leaks. Got home again and it was pouring coolant. Took it right back to the dealer and they said the water pump was leaking and they didn't catch it the first time. I had to wait 3 days to get it back which seemed pretty excessive for a water pump.

If those OEM Motorcraft pumps fail at low mileage (which seems to be the trend here), I'd definitely replace it with an aftermarket one, not Motorcraft.

On Rockauto, the ACDELCO 252980 water pump appears to have metal impellers... definitely a nice upgrade from the plastic Motorcraft junk!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...harged,3308768,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a lot of truth to going aftermarket on many parts....depending on the car. Just goes to show, EVERYTHING is worth a bit of research before you buy it. I didn't know that the stock pump has a plastic impeller but not surprised. I grew up on the water where most of us "outboard" guys got rubber impellers! I would "fix"(lol) a 2 stroke outboard so they really produced power & still be reliant on a rubber finned pump impeller... They don't last either!

A lot of good info in this this thread, thanks for posting MidWest!

jeff

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket is such a conundrum these days. Most of the stuff is Chinese, which is usually designed here in the States, sometimes with efforts for greatly improved features. The problem is that their quality control is more often garbage, and their metallurgy just sucks. All too often you're doing the job twice.

The best bet for aftermarket is finding real good American stuff, but that's getting harder and harder. Hopefully the present trade sanctions will bring some quality manufacturing back our way.

Plati

Reaction score
The aftermarket is such a conundrum these days. Most of the stuff is Chinese, which is usually designed here in the States, sometimes with efforts for greatly improved features. The problem is that their quality control is more often garbage, and their metallurgy just sucks. All too often you're doing the job twice.

The best bet for aftermarket is finding real good American stuff, but that's getting harder and harder. Hopefully the present trade sanctions will bring some quality manufacturing back our way.
It would be great if the Trump Tariffs and economic sanctions brought jobs and manufacturing to the US. I think that's his main goal. Unfortunately it looks like all they are doing is putting Americans out of work , raising prices for Americans , depressing the global economy , and motivating countries to move manufacturing to foreign countries other than China.

Maybe we should just pass laws requiring US manufacturing? So much for freedom though huh?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Chinese workers are slowly starting to demand higher quality of life so their uneven playing field isn’t eternal thankfully. Once they saw how us and Europe live it was only a matter of time. Ford still makes most parts here in the USA, when I replaced my blower motor all the A/M ones were made in China and the blade wasn’t as big as stock. I ordered the Motorcraft OEM motor and it was made in USA with the proper cage no surprise there. Did I pay 50% more? Yep, but I won’t have to do it again. I suspect the knock off Chinese motors weren’t rated to turn the big stock wheel so they downsized it so not to burn out the cheaply made motors.

Last edited: