ngk plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

$100T2

Reaction score
I use NGK plugs in the rotary engine in my RX-7. They are the only plugs that will not fail in a rotary. As a matter of fact, I think if you poll rotary owners, the only ones who don't use NGKs are the ones who don't really know anything about the car.

You should be fine with NGKs. They are really good plugs.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
I use NGK plugs in the rotary engine in my RX-7. They are the only plugs that will not fail in a rotary. As a matter of fact, I think if you poll rotary owners, the only ones who don't use NGKs are the ones who don't really know anything about the car.

You should be fine with NGKs. They are really good plugs.

That would be all fine and great... but I'm trying to see if they even make a replacement plug. So far the only two (rather one company) that makes them is Autolite and Motorcraft. Supposedly Napa listed a Champion plug as well, but based on some comments on here I'd rather just stick with what has been working, unless there is a NGK plug available as I have used those as well and have had great results.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Alright I'll add some more info to this thread.

So doing some more searching via the Summit Racing catalog I found a couple of more options with part numbers. Looks like Champion truly does make a plug for the 3V....

Champion Spark Plugs E7989 - Champion Double Platinum Power Spark Plugs

ACCEL 346S - ACCEL Silver Tip Racing Spark Plugs (spendy)

They also listed a couple of NGK plugs, p/n 4177 and 4477. However they will not work. Not sure how they got listed but NGK according to their website, does not make any replacement plugs for the 5.4L 3V engine. I'm guessing this is because of the unique design of the plug making it a market they do not want to get into because of the limited volume they would be producing.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Champion makes a one piece design, so the technically don't break apart. Granted, I've read of some people having problems with missing, and what not with the Champions.

Most seem to agree that using Motorcrafts and following the TSB result in almost no breakage problems.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Well I just did all of the quick maintenance items on my truck today. Bought Motorcraft plugs (SP-462), because that's what was in there and it ran fine. Swapped out the air filter for a K&N (p/n: 33-2287), and then replaced the fuel filter as well.

Pulling out the old plugs makes me wonder how the heck it ran the way it did in the first place. Cylinder 7 the plug was just sitting in there loose! Cylinder 8 was just hand tight too. Check out the comparisons below. I bought this truck straight from a dealer a month ago :mad:

Pics taken with a BB Storm so they are not the best, but good enough to see...

Upper right is cylinder 1 then 2,3, and 4 then upper left is cylinder 5 then 6,7, and 8
plugoverview.jpg
Cylinder 7
comparecyl7closeup.jpg
Cylinder 8
comparecyl8.jpg

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you follow the TSB and put nickel anti-sieze on the ground electrode (but not on the threads)?

How many miles were on those plugs?

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Did you follow the TSB and put nickel anti-sieze on the ground electrode (but not on the threads)?

How many miles were on those plugs?

Yes. I read the TSB and used anti-sieze on the ground electrode. I'm pretty sure they are the original plugs to so... ~72,800 miles are on them.