No 4H

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rob6805

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you. I lived in Michigan until 2007. People who don't live there don't understand the necessity for a locked 4H. It's for the left lane of I-75 with a white out, 6" on the ground and indicated speed of 80 mph....while pulling a trailer with 4 snowmobiles. You need the diff between the axles locked, the rear diff tight, but not locked, a firm grip on the wheel, heavy metal on the entertainment system and really bright forward illumination while you're watching to make sure you can tell when the guy in the suburban in front of you leaves the center of the lane so that you don't follow him into the ditch. People elsewhere think it's insane...Michiganders realize it's just a higher level of consciousness. Down her in NC, they won't drive that fast on a clear day when it's 70 degrees. 4A is nice for lower velocities and slippery conditions in the city.

Just saying.
Dude!! 100%.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you. I lived in Michigan until 2007. People who don't live there don't understand the necessity for a locked 4H. It's for the left lane of I-75 with a white out, 6" on the ground and indicated speed of 80 mph....while pulling a trailer with 4 snowmobiles. You need the diff between the axles locked, the rear diff tight, but not locked, a firm grip on the wheel, heavy metal on the entertainment system and really bright forward illumination while you're watching to make sure you can tell when the guy in the suburban in front of you leaves the center of the lane so that you don't follow him into the ditch. People elsewhere think it's insane...Michiganders realize it's just a higher level of consciousness. Down her in NC, they won't drive that fast on a clear day when it's 70 degrees. 4A is nice for lower velocities and slippery conditions in the city.

Just saying.
The feels - the rolling hills on 72 on the way to TC.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expy is the best car I’ve driven in snow. With 4A in snow mode it keeps the front axle locked.

In my mind, 4H is only good if you drive in a straight line, but 4A can still send power to the front axle in tight turns without wheel hop.

OP
OP
Rob6805

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expy is the best car I’ve driven in snow. With 4A in snow mode it keeps the front axle locked.

In my mind, 4H is only good if you drive in a straight line, but 4A can still send power to the front axle in tight turns without wheel hop.
Yes, but there is no reason not to have it available. Should be 2H, 4H, 4A, and 4L.

Randy_270

Reaction score
4A and drive modes are great until you pack your undercarriage with so much snow that you lose ABS. No ABS, no drive modes. Found that out the hard way in a snow storm. 4A does still function, and locks up at lower speeds thankfully. At that point, it’s a hope and a prayer you make it. I’d take 4H over 4A and drive modes in every single snowstorm.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4A and drive modes are great until you pack your undercarriage with so much snow that you lose ABS. No ABS, no drive modes. Found that out the hard way in a snow storm. 4A does still function, and locks up at lower speeds thankfully. At that point, it’s a hope and a prayer you make it. I’d take 4H over 4A and drive modes in every single snowstorm.
I would be more concerned about losing ABS during a snow storm! 4wd helps you move but ABS is what saves you from crashing! That is for sure something that Ford has to fix.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but there is no reason not to have it available. Should be 2H, 4H, 4A, and 4L.
They probably didn’t see the need for it given the drive modes. I still haven’t missed the 4H yet but I see your point.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our 2020 Max Limited with the Heavy Tow, and ELSD has 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L. So I guess the 21's were the odd ones?

Also, lets clarify a few thinks. The 4th Gen LOCKS nothing. There is no locked front, back, or Center. The Center Diff is clutch based, not pin. Yes, in some modes it enters a simulated 50/50 by fully engaging the clutches. This is basically all the 4H button is doing. If you are driving in mixed conditions, using 4A will give you better control. Once you are in 4A the front hubs are locked, so all that has to happen is the clutch in the center diff sends power forward. It removes it when it doesn't sense slip in Normal mode, giving you much more predictable handling.

I would agree with what others have said. The Expedition with 4A, and the ELSD has been the best performing snow vehicle I have ever driven. It just goes. My 21 150 does pretty good and I prefer it, but only because of the better tires(AT, and 20's) vs the Expy(HT, and 22's).

I have owned AWD VW vehicles and previously a 7 inch lifted 250 on 35's and LSD in both Diffs. Expy as a package is the best so far. That is me.

Last edited:

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To reiterate a bit what LokiWolf and others have said - In "Snow" mode (which I use a lot here) it is sending power to front and back all the time, so there's no delay. My previous Expy (2006) was different - you definitely noticed the delay, and it used ABS a lot more for traction control. In the 2018 there isn't any drama when traction is low, it just adjusts on the fly very quickly.
I'm sure there are some scenarios we could come up with where truly locked xfr case and diffs would help, but those are going to be almost all off-road deep snow incline type stuff. On roads, locked xfr/diffs is a hazard not a help. Do this experiment - if you have it, lock your rear diff on a slippery residential road and turn a sharp corner. In my case the truck just kept going straight...
One other thing that is my opinion only, can't really prove this one way or another - at highway speeds I always use 2H. I think we had a thread about this earlier, but my position is that 4H can't do hardly anything on the highway. At speed only individual wheel braking is useful... (caveat: we're talking SUVs on snow here, not supercars on the Nurbergring...)