No breaks for you jeffrey......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes, we just need to look at a period of time in our lives and just admit, "that sucked". I COULD feel this way about the last 2 weeks but I don't. Let me elaborate....get comfy guys....

After finding the floor in one of the 3 full baths in my home crumbing under the toilet, I pulled the fixtures out and Kerry came over Saturday and began removing the floor for me since I hate working with wood. No big deal because I have 2 other full baths. Well, before we get further into this, I get home Tues and the house is freezing....no heat. I spend an hour or so coaxing my Condensing Gas furnace to run. House warms. Kerry comes over Fri to help complete new bathroom. We begin work Sat morning but after using toilet in 3rd bathroom, I realize that my sewage ejector pump for that bathroom, is not working.

Do you know how you know a sewage pump isn't working? Yeah, you're right. So now I'm down to 1 bathroom and instead of working to get bathrm #2 complete, I'm now reaching through 2 studs, staying under the 24" high platform that was installed OVER the ejector pump & well to9 wrestle this pump out. After a few hours, I manage to get the top off, removing or snapping the 12 bolts holding the top to the well lip. Then with a bit more effort, cut the vent line, release the fernco to the check vlv and I remove the 50lb pump....ugh, this smells great in your home!

While this was going on, I notice it getting cooler and cooler in my basement.....yes, the heat is not working again. So we switch gears after I tote the old pump outside & cover the well with bleach & 2 large trash bags laid over the top..more bleach on top. Now the issue with my furnace is a sensor that gets utilized during the purge cycle.....if it doesn't read "clean air", no starty. As some of you know, the way to clean that sensor is to washout the intake box...yes, with a sprayer or hose. Since my sprayer is half full of poison, we connect the hose to my well pump outlet and I connect the other end to the furnace. Kerry mans the valve handle as I man the business end....after a couple of blasts, we button up the furnace and cross our fingers....ahh, it works perfectly.

Later, we are walking back upstairs and my back goes partially "out". Not quite to the stage of feeling like your legs aren't connected to your thorax but the point just before that happens. I struggle to get into the truck so we can go up and buy the new fixtures. We get what we need but I'm hobbling badly. Pain sucks so I cool it all down with a real large(15x20) gelpack for 45 minutes after we get back to my home. Amazingly, two hours later, it seemed to "go back in". Pain disappeared on Monday while we were off work....thankfully.

Then yesterday, I'm driving home and I get hit by a 20 ton Dump Truck! It's not bad but it was scary how easily his truck moved my 3 ton like it wasn't even there! I felt my truck being "pitted" and rotating directly in front of it so automatically I counter steered into the lane next to me instinctively reasoning I guess that getting AWAY from that dump truck was paramount and anything in that lane was likely to be smaller!

After spending nearly an hour trying to get through to State, AA co and PG co police, I called my ins co so my truck can go to the truck hospital next week. I drop it off Mon to the same guys that fixed it last year when the deer ran into it.

The good news is my new sewage pump should arrive today.......so maybe I can get it installed this evening but I'm a bit sore this morning.....

This COULD have turned out very, very differently.....for someone who can't fix stuff, this would have been life changing as was the truck accident, it COULD have been very bad, very quickly......so that's why I'm happy......

Things could have been different!

Who knows, maybe the Big Guy will find someone else to mess with for a couple of weeks?

jeff

20190124_144801.jpg

20190124_153823.jpg

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Damn dude... Got no words. Hope the weekend is good to you, you need it.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy crap man, that story tops anything that I can come up with. Hope things settle down for a while after all of this.

Reading about the dump truck has the potential to send me into a rant.. These dump truck drivers around here (St Louis MO) drive like ********, weaving in and out of traffic like they're in a sports car, riding people's *****, dribbling pieces of gravel and shit all over the highway. I've been known to follow them and either place a call to their company about their driving habits or contact the local authorities, with mixed results.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! You are not kidding. Each one of those home repairs would be expensive done by contractors.

The important thing in the story is that there was no damage to you or any other person in that accident! Now if you had been in a Fiesta instead of an Expedition or me on my motorcycle...yikes!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Jeff, any problem that can be fixed with money is no problem at all. You are a lucky guy. Thank God for your continued living.

Here's what I do about sewerage mascerator pumps and condensing boilers/furnaces. I own and maintain a bunch of rental units, so I know all about this garbage. Use the "anti-turbocharger rule:" Zero technology, American quality for anything that can ruin your day.

For the toilet pump, buy a Liberty cast iron pump made in New York, USA. For a boiler, go with a non-condensing cast iron atmospheric combustion boiler like they used 100 years ago. There are no sensors, circuit boards or any control that costs more than $50 on it. The extra $30 of efficiency you lose vs. high-tech crap will be well paid off in parts, lack of grief and longevity.

In 30 years a landlording, my tenants never lost a minute of heat or toilet pumps.

Now stay away from those dump trucks. Good driving!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff your poor truck! First a deer and now a dump truck!!! Glad your ok.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy crap man, that story tops anything that I can come up with. Hope things settle down for a while after all of this.

Reading about the dump truck has the potential to send me into a rant.. These dump truck drivers around here (St Louis MO) drive like ********, weaving in and out of traffic like they're in a sports car, riding people's *****, dribbling pieces of gravel and shit all over the highway. I've been known to follow them and either place a call to their company about their driving habits or contact the local authorities, with mixed results.

The dump truck drivers in the area I live (semi-rural) are the same. I despise them.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, isn't that like the worst run of bad luck that wasn't REALLY bad?

It's true, if $$can fix the issue(&u have it), it really isn't bad....no life or limb although I'm very appreciative of that. The other crap, once I regained control of my own mind before dealing with it, isn't but an inconvenience and some dollars.

Reality was that I had a choice... I could go after his insurance, whom pays claims after stretching them out for 7 months or more(you know this is SOP for these guys I learned from an attorney friend of mine) or get my truck fixed now and leave it up to my ins Co, or not as they decide.

In a perfect world I would stand on principle and go to the mat......but for this? Just not worth it in the bigger picture.

I wonder if I'll get that pos Santa Re again? Lol

Jeff

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting.

As I read this thread, the sidebar ads start rotating between sump pumps, well pumps, and furnaces.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to google to find out what a "Condensing Gas furnace" and a sewage pump is. I know what a basement is, not sure that I've ever been in one though.

Is that pure rubber contact from the semi truck tire? Looks like globs of grease, bizarre.