No flow in transmission Cooler lines.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kim Lerhaugen

Reaction score
Hi. My Ford Expedition 2003 Eddie bauer have no flow from the transmission.
I disconnected the Cooler line into the frist Cooler and start the engine. Notting is Flowing... I try drive and reverse, As god As Notting is comming out.....
I Got a warm transmission When IT gest warm outside and i drive up hills.
IT shifts just fine, the oil looks fine and IT dose not slip.
What could IT be?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The transmission cooler bypass valve may be stuck.

Transmission Fluid Cooler Flow Test

NOTE: The transmission linkage/cable adjustment, fluid level and line pressure must be within specification before carrying out this test. Refer to Fluid Level Check under Verification of Condition in this section. Refer to Line Pressure Test under Special Testing Procedures in this section. For shift linkage/cable adjustment procedures, refer to Section 307-05 .

1. Remove the fluid level indicator from the fluid filler tube.
  1. Place a funnel in the fluid filler tube.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  1. Disconnect the cooler return tube (rear fitting) from the transmission cooler bypass valve (CBV). Refer to Section 307-02 .
  1. Connect one end of a hose to the cooler return tube and route the other end of the hose up to a point where it can be inserted into the funnel at the fluid filler tube.
  1. Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
  1. Insert the end of a hose into the funnel.
  1. Start the engine and run at idle with the transmission in the NEUTRAL range.
  1. Once a steady flow of fluid (without air bubbles) is observed, remove the hose from the funnel and place the hose in a measuring container for 15 seconds. After 15 seconds place the hose back into the funnel and turn the engine off. Measure the amount of fluid in the container. If adequate flow was observed, approximately 946.24 ml (32 oz) will be in the measuring container; the test is now complete.
  1. If adequate flow is not observed, turn off the engine. Disconnect the hose from the cooler return line (transmission inlet).
  1. Disconnect the fluid cooler line from the front case fitting and connect the hose to the case fitting (converter out) and repeat Steps 7, 8 and 9.
  1. If adequate flow is observed from the transmission, look for a plugged cooler line and/or fluid cooler. Refer to Section 307-02 for diagnosis of the transmission fluid cooler.
  1. If adequate flow is still not observed, repair and/or installation of a new pump and/or torque converter may be required

OP
OP
K

Kim Lerhaugen

Reaction score
There is no flow from the transmission to the cooler. next I have to do is disconect the line from the transmission an se if it will flow.
The strange thing is that the oil is fine and the transmission shuft just fine.
The milage is 115k.
I dont know if there has been any repairs on the transmission earlyer.
How often should the fluid been changing?
My English is a litle bad, live in Norway and there is not alot of this cars here :)