No washers, but wipers work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkbruin

Reaction score
When I press the washer stalk, I hear an audible click and the wipers do their thing, but nothing comes out of the jets front or rear.

Is the fuse for the pump separate from the fuse for the wipers? Common issue?

(Yes, it has fluid)

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2013 Ford F150. The wipers would work but no water. I decided to put a garden hose into the washer water jug. I flushed it out for 10 minutes. It must have been some slime or debris in it. It works great now.

mothra

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2008 EL. The fuse seems to operate both the wipers and washer pump. So if you have wipers then its not likely a fuse issue. If you hear the pump come on when you press the washers it may be clogged as others have mentioned. If the pump does not come on I would suspect the pump has failed and its time for a new one. I ordered a motorcraft replacement on Amazon for around $25.

I would try a flush of the tank and line to see if its clogged then replace pump if that doesn't solve it (This is my plan of attack as well). Back flush might be more effective than just a hose in the tank.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
I read somewhere the winter freeze-proof fluid can make a slime when mixed with the summer bug cleaner fluid, and that's what I found to have plagued mine.

I could hear the pump churning, but could only get a dribble, then no fluid out of either the front windshield or rear glass. I heard the pump run, so that all worked, and I figured all 3 sprayers wouldn't clog simultaneously.

Shown in the photo Hamfisted posted above, that rubber gasket screen or filter doohicky that lies between the pump and the fluid reservoir was the problem was.

You can fix it by removing the passenger headlight assembly--2 screws on top, then pull/rock/pivot the housing; the side by the grill comes out first. Remove the headlamp wiring harness and turn signal bulb, and set it out of the way.

Next, remove the wiring harnesses from the washer fluid reservoir and tuck them up out of the way. You can leave the sprayer tubing connected to the pump.

Now, rock up/down and pull straight forward on the pump itself. As seen in the photo above, it just has barbs holding it in. then tuck the pump and tubing up out of the way.

Now you can use your fingers to pull that rubber plug/screen thing out of the reservoir. If you haven't emptied it, now will be the time you get a really clean spot on your driveway as the fluid rushes out!

Take the rubber stopper/screen and clean all the slime off. Then, reinstall everything.

Sadly, before I figured out I could access from behind the headlight, I tore into the wheel well and made substantially more work out of what turned out to be a pretty simple job.

grizzly02

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue for my 2014 expedition is there a fuse for the washer motor?