Noisy heatshield between spare tire and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone having this heatshield rattle when closing the rear deck lid or back doors? Mine has rattled, then fixed by the dealership only to rattle again later. I should get under there myself to look but figured I’d ask here first just in case someone had dealt with this and has a quick fix.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the heat shield? The rear license plate can rattle also.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the heat shield? The rear license plate can rattle also.
Yes I’m sure, I can pound on the floor of the rear storage area and produce the same noise, I’m certain it’s the heat shield.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 4th gen, not a 1st, it's probably an easy fix. Get it to someone who's experienced and fix it. I've posted this before, find a shop that has the Snap on audio ears that can be placed around underneath of vehicle. Then the tech can pinpoint where the sounds coming from. Easy, peasy.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 4th gen, not a 1st, it's probably an easy fix. Get it to someone who's experienced and fix it. I've posted this before, find a shop that has the Snap on audio ears that can be placed around underneath of vehicle. Then the tech can pinpoint where the sounds coming from. Easy, peasy.

The service techs at my dealership are really good and have isolated and remedied it twice already but it’s returned. I’m just wondering if it’s missing some washers or vibration gasket or something.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Artie, your a Lincoln guy like me. We like quiet, and we like perfection. Nothing wrong with that. When I worked on and rode Harley's, I always took home a totally stock and quiet Electra Glide, or road King. Never liked loud in my vehicles or women. You rarely see a loud doctor or lawyer, or any professional. You want your SUV quiet like when you bought it. To have a 20 year old vehicle behave like day 1, that's Rolls Royce's goal.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'd have one heck of a bed side manner screaming your an idiot, why didn't you stay on your diet. See, now we did a bypass on you! Yeah, what recovery patient wouldn't want their doctor yelling at them! Ha Ha.