Noisy relays?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I probably have over sensitive hearing, but am noticing the intermittent sound of relays when driving my '18 Expedition Limited. I can hear a relay click near the headlight switch when the auto headlights turn on around dusk. I can also hear a relay periodically over on the passengers side and assume it's related to HVAC functions as things cycle on/off.

Anybody else have a similar experience? Guess I need to turn up the radio! Most other vehicles I've had in the past seemed to have relays placed under the hood vs in the cabin, I assume due to the noise issue.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ASS has a loud relay on the passenger side dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ASS has a loud relay on the passenger side dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya lost me.... Wasn't sure if it was an attempt at humor or an acronym I'm not familiar with. Perhaps its the seat heaters cycling or the heated steering wheel cycling....

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's talking about the auto start/stop system. I've noticed the relay sound with that as well. I also have a click that sounds just like a relay somewhere near my rear-view mirror, but I think it's just a rattle. I can't figure it out, though.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't ever hear any relays from the ASS or anything else. No clicks whatsoever.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's talking about the auto start/stop system. I've noticed the relay sound with that as well. I also have a click that sounds just like a relay somewhere near my rear-view mirror, but I think it's just a rattle. I can't figure it out, though.

Gotcha. Yeah, I disabled my auto start/stop via ForScan within the first week of ownership. Interesting to learn the new sounds in the vehicle and what's normal, etc.