Non-matching struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In January 2016 I had the right rear strut replaced on my '11 EL under the extended warranty. The dealer wouldn't approve replacement of the other and I wasn't about to pay them the $850 they wanted to do it. Here I am about 10K miles later and the left rear strut is shot. Normally, I would replace the struts in pairs but the right rear only has 10K/1 year on it. I really don't want to replace it with a piece of s**t Motorcraft strut that I know will prematurely fail as they all do on these rigs. However, I'm wondering what the handling consequences would be of slapping a different strut assembly (MOOG, for example) on the other side would be. Thoughts?

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have experienced struts from different brands having different ride heights..1/2" difference between Monroe Quick vs Unity. How many miles are the Motorcrafts failing at?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The small length isn't the issue, you can either lengthen or compress. Like tires, you want a matched set. If it was my SUV I would go with the Ford part. Make sure it's an actual Ford box though, not the Motorcraft. Their is a difference. If you can mount the one strut yourself, you'll save on the labor. The Ford part should be available since your vehicle is 7 years old, Ford usually drops a part around 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have experienced struts from different brands having different ride heights..1/2" difference between Monroe Quick vs Unity.

Hmm, good point.

How many miles are the Motorcrafts failing at?

My first one failed at ~95K; this one failed at ~105K. Based on anecdotal reports from various Expedition forums though, most people experience failures in the 3rds gens between 60-80K. My mom's '15 Explorer had both rear struts fail at < 10K. When the first rear strut failure was discovered on my Expedition, the owner of the indy shop I use commented that he "had never seen such a catastrophic failure" at ~95K. In all of my years of driving I haven't either. I expect performance to deteriorate of course, but I don't expect a "catastrophic" leak at 95K or 105K in a vehicle that rarely hauls cargo and has never towed.

The small length isn't the issue, you can either lengthen or compress. Like tires, you want a matched set. If it was my SUV I would go with the Ford part. Make sure it's an actual Ford box though, not the Motorcraft. Their is a difference. If you can mount the one strut yourself, you'll save on the labor. The Ford part should be available since your vehicle is 7 years old, Ford usually drops a part around 10 years.

Valid point. I'm just really weary to use their part in this case.

I definitely can do the install myself (limited automotive skills, but enough to do this), but the local shop only wants 1h labor ($100) to do it. If they were charging what the stealership wanted I would absolutely do it myself, but for $100 I'll probably spare myself the wasted afternoon.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, $100.00 isn't worth the struggle. Sounds like Ford is using crappy seals in their struts. Keep in mind that if you go aftermarket, their will be a different ride quality. You may like the difference or not. I swapped out both Motorcraft, and Bilsteins, on my 2000. Didn't like the ride of either one. Finally tracked down 4 Ford ones, through dealers with old stock. It's not perfect, but better ride than the other 2 sets. Our other readers have good luck with the aftermarket, unfortunately I didn't.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace with another ford strut..100k is more than I would expect to get out of any shock imo.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your supposed to replace shocks every 25k, struts they stretch out to 40k I believe. That's what we used to tell customers years back, for optimum performance.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace with another ford strut..100k is more than I would expect to get out of any shock imo.

I ended up doing so since I was concerned about differences between them otherwise. I ended up only paying $62 for it anyway since eBay had a flash sale today. When one fails again, I'll just replace both with something better.

As I said above, I expect performance to deteriorate with that many miles, but I don't expect it to develop a catastrophic leak. I've never had another shock leak like this on any vehicle ever no matter how miles I put on it.