Normal sounds? 5.4 3V new to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
What are normal 5.4 3V sounds?

So 2010 Ford Expedition (doy that why posting in this forum)
187K miles and the oil definitely was not changed every 3 to 5k ... more like 10K ish from what I can tell.

I've been researching this and seems lots of potential problems around phasors, timing chain tensioners, and valve rockers.

I've seen a few YT vids which try to record the sounds but frankly I don't think the full range of audio is coming through to discern what they are listening to.

Anyone know of a reference which what a "normal" 5.4 3V should sound like then compare to the above noted problems and the sound indication of what to listen to to identify which might be wrong?

Does that make sense?

I'm paranoid that I've bought a lemon after seeing everyones problems... but it drives great and inside interior cant hear anything weird.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The only unusual sound from a well running 5.4 would be a "light" ticking from the fuel injectors which is normally only heard next to the engine and barely heard with the hood closed. Just my opinion, and I've owned several. Here's what I've learned:

Worn chain guides or leaking tensioners "rattle" for a several seconds at startup. Phasors can sound like a diesel engine clammoring. Worn rockers make loud tapping like bad lifters on a pushrod engine.

Anyone agree or disagree?

(I would use the semi or full synthetic oil recommended by Ford and only Ford Motorcraft oil filters which are $3 at Walmart. They have a silicone anti-drain down valve in them that keeps oil up in the top end of the engine at start-up.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
So I just went out and recorded the cold engine idle and how it sounds ... this might make it easier for someone experienced to hear it instead of me trying to figure it out.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2014 sounds very much like it, although the ticking is a lot less pronounced (it may be your camera mic that is very sensitive, though).

I just bought my truck too though and the dealer who sold it said engine was 100% in great condition and well maintained. The previous owners (a police dept) also confirmed that the truck was always taken care of and maintained at regular service intervals.

130,000 miles on mine.

P.S. I switched mine to synthetic oil for these reasons. I've put 4 quarts of 5W30 and 2.5 quarts of 5W20 to get it started, plus a FRAM ultra synthetic oil filter (the only FRAM filter worth using - the rest are crap).

In the future, I will switch it over to 5W30 exclusively. According to Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube, these 5.4L V8 engines are spec'd for 5W30 everywhere else other than North America and don't have these common chain / phaser issues. Our trucks are 5W20 in America because of stupid anti-pollution CAFE standards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
I think the ticking sound is stronger now that I've changed the oil. (used 5w-20, some say 5w-30 is way to go???) after I got it the a/c compressor clutch was shot so I replaced it first... then the dip stick was stuck and read that many people say the engine has to be hot ... still stuck but better ... slowly worked it free to find that the oil level was only on the tip of the dip stick and very very black. So changed the oil and air filter ... air filter was nasty: IMG_20190903_223042.jpg

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy crap, man! Whoever owned this truck before you deserves a punch in the head, lol... what a shame.

I plan on taking mine to an acquaintance of mine who works on these trucks all the time at Ford, just for the peace of mind. I'll let him listen to it and give me his professional opinion. It is said that if you address the timing / phaser issues early (if you have them), then you can make the engine run for another few hundred thousand miles without issues.

Addressing the problem before it irreversibly damages the engine is much more economical than putting in a new engine, by the way.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine sounds fine. Use 5W-30, better for the engine I won’t go into why as it’s been beaten to death. Maybe light noise from passenger valve cover, which is the last on the oil feed.....5W-30 helps. It is not dieseling or running rough and sounds ok.

These are loud engines up top, overhead cam and loud injectors. Phaser issues are the main symptom of problems, that is mainly heard under the truck and is more of a loud knock type sound. From there timing codes would be set off if it went unchecked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
I've read a lot about the 5W30 Europe versus US makes sense to me I think I'll do it right away seeing who knows how long it's been since this had an oil change before I did it

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 F150 with the 5.4 was quiet as a church mouse and smooth as butter at idle when I traded it in at 55k miles. My 05 F150 on the other hand rattled when cold started and sound like a very quiet diesel at hot idle but still ran great. I always used 5w30 penzoil pure platinum + in the 10 which I owned for 20k miles. The older 05 I purchased with 100k miles and sounded the same after 15k miles of use and religious 3k mile oil changes. Some of these motor are louder than others but treat them right and they will return the favor.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went from the recommended Motorcraft 5w20 to 5w30 Full Syth Mobil 1 in my 2013 Taurus (150k miles). I figured since the SHO has the same motor and is recommend 5w30 it won't hurt... all extra clacking gone and improved mileage. Go figure. Also stopped getting the $3 Ford branded oil filter and now switched to WIX Xp filters. There's several videos on youtube showing the build quality. Still found rust on one at Kragen (looks to have been a return or on the shelf a LONG time). Made the switch in my Expy; but it's at the insurance shop cause the oil change shop messed with my transmission.