Not starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaner

Reaction score
Hello.

New here.

Beginning November our 01 started running rough and hard to start.

Now it doesnt start at all. It's been sitting for a month.

I just sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it did start for a second but more of a putter putter and not a full on vroom.

Where should I start?

I noticed threads about the intake, iac, fuel pump, fuel relay...

What routes would you take? What to test first?

Thanks and happy new year.

Plati

Reaction score
when was last time fuel filter & air filter was changed?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start with a fuel pressure test. Probably a failing pump, or broken pickup from pump. The fact it wanted to start with starter fluid and sputtered is fuel related.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
Ok here's what I just did.

Turned the key back and forth a couple times, truck started but only for two seconds. It did this over and over.

Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge.

Read 33 but ran fine. Started right up after I screwed the gauge into the passenger side fuel rail. Took a lap around town, fuel gauge was at 25 when I parked. Released pressure, gauge went to 32.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By turning the key on/off your priming a weak pump. Your pressure is good enough to run but the drop tells me it's leaking either at pump, line, or injectors. If you had a clogged filter you wouldn't have pressure that high. I had a hard starting problem about 3 months back, I swapped the #301 fuel pump relay with the one next to it. Problem went away. Might try that for now. You'll have to find out why your dropping pressure. These pumps do fail after about 15 years, some sooner.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Key on, engine off should be 35-45 psi. Key on engine running 28-45. What happens though is a hose next to pump deteriorates causing pumping problems. If you have any exaust/intake leaks, that doesn't help, I'd do a full fuel diagnostic procedure before dropping tank. Maybe one of the others can post the procedure. Sorry I'm working off Android phone, kinda basic.

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
No problem. I thank all of you for the info you already provided. You are all a huge help.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sat for a month? Your battery is probably kinda flat

Get a portable jumpstarter if you sit your vehicles unused regularly... beware that smaller ones reportedly won't juice v8's, though

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
It sat for a month? Your battery is probably kinda flat

Get a portable jumpstarter if you sit your vehicles unused regularly... beware that smaller ones reportedly won't juice v8's, though

Already charged it.