Not starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
What about the plastic intake? High failure rate?

99's have an aluminum intake, is this a good swap? Does it fit with no issues?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
See how long your fuel system holds pressure. If it leaks down overnight, either the check valve in the fuel pump is bad, an injector is leaking or ther's a leak somewhere. Priming it a few times with the key should get you around until you can fix it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I bought a Town Car, from estate. It sat for over a year(on E), before they could sell it. It was extremely hard to start, only when cold(3-4 tries). 0% fuel pressure after sitting. The fuel pump 'check ball' that holds pressure(while off), somehow failed. Probably from the ethanol fuel and sitting on empty.

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
Ok. Am messing with the ford again.

Had no fuel pressure when I first tried to start it.

After a couple cranks and turns of the key the pressure jumped to 33. It started but runs rough.

It stays at 33 unless we step on the gas. When we step on the gas and raise the idle it drops to 29-30.

Turning the truck off the fuel pressure drops right to 18-17.

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
I also need to note...

We turn on the key and the gauge shows 40 but immediately drops to 22 within a second or two...then we turn the key all the way which starts the car and the pressure stays around 30. When we shut it off it immediately drops to 20 in just 2-3 seconds and after 2 minutes it continues to decrease but slowly.

Another thing I noticed, we turn the key without starting it and after a few seconds we hear a bump in the tank, then the pressure jumps up.

I think you guys that mentioned the check valve may be correct.

I just want to know what the pressures are supposed to be and if they are supposed to drop at all or stay around 30+ even when off and sitting for a couple days.

Thank you.

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
It also doesnt always jump to 40. Sometimes we turn the key and it's dead. If we try to start it, the pressure drops to zero.

Turn the key again and it goes to 40 and it starts.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds more and more like a fuel pump. Run the tank below 1/4 tank, lower the better, buy a Ford or quality pump, and swap in a new one. A piece of plywood helps stabilize the tank when jacking/lowering it. Stay away from the cheap pumps, they fail premature. Also change the fuel filter while your under there. You'll need the plastic disconnect tool for filter. Their rentable or cheap enough to buy.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shaner

Reaction score
Coming back to update this thread.

I decided to take the filter off and see what would come out of it.

Little did I know, the filter on the truck had a august 2000 date code and was very very old. I swapped that out with a new one. I then grabbed a clear plastic container and blew the contents of the filter into the container. The fuel was black, very dirty.

After the new filter, nothing happened. The fuel pressure never went back up. It wouldn't start, just crank.

Thinking it was a relay or electrical I then started troubleshooting...relay makes a click...

Dropped the tank.

Removed old pump.

Isolated the pump off the mount and hooked to 12v.

Nothing.

Bought new delphi pump.

Installed pump.

Truck started right up.

Thank you to all those that helped.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad your up and running. 19 years out of an original filter, not too shabby.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk