Odd Air Suspension Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

white7wolf

Reaction score
Hey all so I tried looking around and couldnt find any threads about people having the issue I'm having. I have a 98 EB with air shocks and the front drivers side seems to lower and raise all the time, but the passenger side seems to be intermittent? Sometimes it goes down, sometimes it doesnt, but it seems like any time it gets "stuck" it's in the raised position that the truck goes too once it's moving. Any troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated as I'd rather not replace with coils and what not unless I have too.

Also, I can't seem to tell if my rear is bad or not. It seems to look ok to me, if the rears are bad is it super duper noticeable?

Thanks all.

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 97 EB did the same thing. passengers front and all. it was cheaper for me to convert rather than replace the air bag that eventually went for good. I really cant tell a differance other than not hearing the annoying noise from the compressor constantly lol. I now know i'll never have an air issue again and it really wasnt a big job converting either.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you also have the 4-corner load-leveling suspension, i deduce yes?
when was the last time you replaced your front air ride ones? Are the air lines properly seated? did you spray soapy water around the coupler(s) to check for leaks.
perhaps you have been getting an intermittent check suspension light?

as far as the rear, the stock air bags have most-likley exceeded their life-span given your location. i repalced mine and the compressor/dryer all at the same time. it wasn't very expensive, less than 4 hours total and gtg. additionally, using the oem equivalent rear shocks allows the air bags to do what they're designed for.

I ordered from Arnott direct and did the package deal. you can also procure from local auto stores & believe there is a sticky on here too.

Arnott G97NEPD
Arnott A-2153

Attachments

• Pass. Side Original Air Spring.jpg
    Pass. Side Original Air Spring.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 168
  • Pass. Side Air Spring.jpg
    Pass. Side Air Spring.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 81
  • Pass. Side New Air Spring.jpg
    Pass. Side New Air Spring.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
W

white7wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Honestly I haven't checked out much because
1) It's been like 15 degrees
2) It's snowy and I have no garage

I've only owned the truck for about a month and a half. The suspension working so intermitently isn't that big of a deal to me at the moment as I have to get the vacuum leak I have fixed and my 4wd working first lol. I'll take a look at thing when it warms up though and any troubleshooting advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!