odd steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so yesterday i backed into the driveway and left the wheel pretty far to the left, as in the tire kept catching my knee a few times as i walked by. So i opened the door and with the truck off, i straitened the wheel. really easy to turn by the way.
so this morning i started her up and drove out of the driveway and made a left turn onto the street. then for about 300 feet the truck kept trying to turn hard left like a tire was flat. I stopped and looked and no flat. i turned the wheel back and forth a few times and it stopped pulling left.
so what happened ?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guessing.......you created a void in the hydraulic line by moving it with the pump off until you cycled the rack a few times to refill one side of the actuator?

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since we have EPAS I would think some position sensor got off kilter for a bit. Moving the steering wheel back and forth may have re-indexed it. Just a guess since I didn't think we have hydraulic steering pumps anymore.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No hydraulics on 15-17 models. The steering is electrically operated. Probably a sensor wasn't registering because you turned the wheel after they system was shut down.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are driving with a cross wind and have to keep holding left or right to go straight the system eventually figures out what's going on and holds that pressure for you so you don't have to so thinking that way the system possibly thought you were trying to fighting a cross wind.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are driving with a cross wind and have to keep holding left or right to go straight the system eventually figures out what's going on and holds that pressure for you so you don't have to so thinking that way the system possibly thought you were trying to fighting a cross wind.
no stuff?
never really noticed that,
i forgot it was electric as well, steering pressure with engine off and key off is very light compared to the f150,
never ceases to amaze me the neat stuff they build in and never tell us about.

then i found this video...andy your 100% dead one
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...rt/electric-power-assisted-steering-epas.html

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, Hydraulics are what made previous hard when power is off. Electric motors don't have the same resistance without power. Kinda the best of both worlds. Variable assist, and faster activation, and easier off power steering.

If you turn the wheel with the car off on any of these new cars, try making sure you put it back where it was when you start, or do what you did, and rock the wheel back and forth once you start. It will reindex the system.

Gotta love Technology! Just one more thing the 15+'s have that is different the other 3rd Gens.