OEM Control Arms + Ball Joints??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Reaction score
My Expedition has 120,000km or about 75,000 miles. I got no problem putting some money into the truck but am always left wondering if the mechanics are taking advantage of me cause Ive been hosed before. Anyway I ended up getting Moog uppers control arms and lower ball joints from PartsAvatar.ca cause the price was reasonable, free shipping and parts always get to me the next day.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you replace just the ball joints (upper and lower), do you need an alignment?
Its a good idea to have the alignment checked. Ironically after I replaced everything my alignment was perfect. There are shims used on the upper so it pretty much goes in the same spot. (2x4 at least). Since my lowers were the ones that were shot I'm guessing it had never been aligned with them going bad so once they were replaced it was just fine.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Reaction score
This 97 Expedition is the newest vehicle Ive ever owned and my first 4x4. Ive got alot to learn. Ive been driving 85 - 87 GMC Safari's for years and years but had to finally somewhat update cause I've got a family now.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly if you are at all mechanical these are pretty easy to work on. I put a long block in mine, replaced all the bushing for the anti sway bars, brakes all the way around. New shocks front and back. New lower ball joints and upper control arms on the front, new air springs in the rear, fixed the odometer display issue. Most complicated thing was the engine but most is easy to work on.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Reaction score
Thanks. Thats good to hear that these are somewhat easy to work on. I dont mind trying to do some work myself but normally know when something is too much for me to handle and need to get it done at a garage.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tc waltz must be an amazing mechanic, because I've worked on cars/trucks 45 years now, and next to Mercedes Benz, these are some of the toughest I've encountered. Doing a spark plug change on one of these will make you want to kick a wall. Theirs nothing easy on these SUVs. But when they work right, their a joy to drive. We're here to help. Like I always say, best free advice this side of your parents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tc waltz must be an amazing mechanic, because I've worked on cars/trucks 45 years now, and next to Mercedes Benz, these are some of the toughest I've encountered. Doing a spark plug change on one of these will make you want to kick a wall. Theirs nothing easy on these SUVs. But when they work right, their a joy to drive. We're here to help. Like I always say, best free advice this side of your parents!

Not sure what you've been working on but any vehicle that I can access most places on or work on without having to jack it up is cake. Mazda 6s and Chrysler Pacifica both a complete pain the ass to change something as simple as a spark plug because they required that the upper plenum on the intake to be removed to even access the back 3 spark plugs. Pontiac Trans Am.....yeah total pain to swap all the plugs because you can't really access the passenger side plugs due to the AC lines. plug 8 you have to do with about universal joint and about 3' of extensions. Since they have plug wires with heatshields its tough to pull the wires off. VERY little room in the engine compartment to work. Trans Am has to be jacked up off the ground to do anything. Can't use ramps because it sits to low and the tires are too wide to fit on them. Changing the starter required pulling the exhaust on the passenger side just to access it. So yeah, by comparison to most cars I've worked on, this is pretty easy. Only thing I found easier was my 79 Pinto. Of course it was manual steering, manual brakes and 4 speed.

Lets be honest though. There is NOTHING on the suspension that you cant access easily on this thing other than the upper shock bolt on the drivers side. I need a 24" extension to get that one and it was a bit of a ***** because of how rusted the bolt was. Pulling the motor wasn't hard, it was time consuming. After having done it once I can say I could do it much faster the 2nd time. Putting it back in was easier when I took off a few things I struggled with getting it out. Just recently swapped a lower ball joint on a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant that took me more time than swapping both lower ball joints and upper control arms on the Expy simply because the design of the control arm wouldn't allow the press to work properly. I had to remove the lower control arm then basically beat the damn thing out.

And for the record...changing the plugs on this is much easier if you pull the fuel rail off.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive got a 2000 4x4 that's tight everwnere. The front ends not too bad. Just taking off an oil filter, you can barely get in there. My first oil change, I couldn't get any of my strap filter wrenches in there. And I have all the best. After buying a cup type I switched over to the grippy black end Fram. Come on, building an engine where you have to remove the cab! That's easy! 10 plus hours to do timing chains/ tensioners, failing cam advancers on 2005-06 models. The list goes on. Theirs a few items that are easy, but very few. Don't let the kid think he's working on a 65 Mustang with a 6 cylinder, these SUVs are tough. Well break him in easy with some front end work.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive got a 2000 4x4 that's tight everwnere. The front ends not too bad. Just taking off an oil filter, you can barely get in there. My first oil change, I couldn't get any of my strap filter wrenches in there. And I have all the best. After buying a cup type I switched over to the grippy black end Fram. Come on, building an engine where you have to remove the cab! That's easy! 10 plus hours to do timing chains/ tensioners, failing cam advancers on 2005-06 models. The list goes on. Theirs a few items that are easy, but very few. Don't let the kid think he's working on a 65 Mustang with a 6 cylinder, these SUVs are tough. Well break him in easy with some front end work.

Haha....well the 04 Mazda 6s actually has a worse set up. At least these have a drip pan to catch the oil from the filter. Whatever genius at Mazda/ford came up with mounting the oil filter in a small spot above the front exhaust pipe lost his mind. You had to use a wrench to get it off and you couldn't help but drip oil on the exhaust pipe so that damn thing would stink for days (I used synthetic which did not burn off quickly). I imagine the 4x4 is tighter up front that my 2x4...front suspension is different.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is. You haven't lived till you pull an automatic transmission out of a Mercedes Benz. When you cram a 6 cylinder/ 8 cylinder in an area sized for a 4, it's busted knuckle time. Changing turn signal/ brake light bulbs on these are easy. 2- 7 mm bolts, pop pins back and yay! Wish all the rest was that easy. Mines first gen, wouldn't even want to imagine 2017 model. I don't miss my days as a mechanic. Always enjoyed working on motorcycles so much more.