OEM/Thule Cargo Box's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cooldude919

Reaction score
OK you guys convinced me, i ordered the StowAway max, with LED lights and lock. Thanks for all the info!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK you guys convinced me, i ordered the StowAway max, with LED lights and lock. Thanks for all the info!

You will LOVE it! Its so easy to use and no need to climb like a money on the darn roof. My kids love it, because they can put things in it and they are still pretty small. My wife would NEVER climb on the roof, so it would be on me every time someone needed anything from the roof mount carrier.

Make sure you ordered the swinging model, as they used to offer a fixed model. The fixed one did not allow you to open the rear lift gate with the carrier on and that's not nice. I think most models swing now, but just double check.....

OP
OP
C

cooldude919

Reaction score
You will LOVE it! Its so easy to use and no need to climb like a money on the darn roof. My kids love it, because they can put things in it and they are still pretty small. My wife would NEVER climb on the roof, so it would be on me every time someone needed anything from the roof mount carrier.

Make sure you ordered the swinging model, as they used to offer a fixed model. The fixed one did not allow you to open the rear lift gate with the carrier on and that's not nice. I think most models swing now, but just double check.....
Yea i got the swinging model, no worries there!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NO LOSS OF MPG with a roof carrier??????? LOL LOL

Not on these vehicles you won’t see a loss when properly placed same with added wind noise.
As long as the box is set back and not over the front of the Windshield.
I have used it on my old Explorer, wife’s Highlander, and the Expedition no loss in mpg.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

When you swing the box out, it puts quite a moment on the hitch so I also use the anti rattle hitch pin and u-bolt clamp at the links below to keep everything nice and solid. The trailer chain loops on the hitch get in the way of the U-bolt clamp a bit, so you have to use the flat side of the plate instead of the angled side. The anti-rattle hitch pin also serves as a lock which is nice.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Softride/SR25219.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Malone/MPG908.html

Last edited:

veedub

Reaction score
250 pounds seems awfully light amount of cargo for such a big box. Any other options out there that can store more weight than 250?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not on these vehicles you won’t see a loss when properly placed same with added wind noise.
As long as the box is set back and not over the front of the Windshield.
I have used it on my old Explorer, wife’s Highlander, and the Expedition no loss in mpg.
Yeah, no...not my experience at all. I have a Thule Boxter and have used it on many different vehicles as with my Expedition now. When mounted on the bars (you have to move the rear bar to the second notch) it does provide some additional wind noise. Especially when faced with a stiff head wind. It comes with the territory TBQH. I assume there is a slight loss in MPG, I hardly notice that aspect since I am often running the box in the dead of winter, with accessories running, winter fuel and knobby winter tires *shrug*

hellohithere

Reaction score
None of these things are an issue with a properly place rooftop box.
I have no added wind noise or loss of mpg.
I just stand on the rear wheel to get stuff in and out.
Plus I need the hitch for these.
View attachment 30880

Agreed. I have a Thule Motion XT XL on the factory crossbars and have almost no additional wind noise and no MPG reduction.The Expedition drives exactly the same. Very happy with it! @Black, I use a 3 step thin foldable ladder that I keep strapped to the back of 3rd row chairs for more stable access to the roof box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S5L1XRM

NO LOSS OF MPG with a roof carrier??????? LOL LOL

It's true! No real noticeable MPG difference on our last few road trips.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.51.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.52.19 PM.png