Oil Capacity and Dip Stick length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, first post. I bought my Expedition a little while ago and have an oil capacity/dip stick question. Just had it to a shop to replace a bad fuel pump, while there they performed an oil change. I noticed on the receipt they used 6.5 qts, the user manual says 6 qts with filter change. First, was I ok to drive home with an extra 1/2qt of oil in the pan ( only 2 miles ). Second, I measured the length of the oil dip stick right below the handle and it came out to just under 25 3/4". When checking oil level on a flat surface ( after cooling down ) I get a perfect reading right at the Max Line. Do I have the correct oil dip stick, or is it normal to be 1/2 qt over recommended?

2000 Eddie Bauer 5.4L

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't trust what the shop says. Always believe the dip stick. Oh, and try to check the oil when the truck is on level ground.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I rechecked it later and saw it was a little over the Max line so I drained out enough oil to bring it slightly below.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 4x4 expedition, when I do an oil change and filter, I put in 5 quarts. Checked oil 4 days after changing it level was middle of stick. Don't know about the 5.4 motor but never had a seal problem being slightly high. Now 1 to 2 quarts high that might build up too pressure. Just don't let it run low. I found you got to let it sit at least 5 minutes when warm to get an accurate reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry meant to say six quarts on oil change. Should proof my words before I send, Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump. Can anyone quick run out to their Expeditions with a 5.4L and measure the dip stick length right below the handle please? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The complete length on my 2001 with 5.4 is 28 inches that's from the tip to the very top of the handle