Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone, was kind of curious what everyone is running for oil and oil filters. I just bought an 07 Expedition Limited a few months back and about 3 weeks ago did my first oil change.

I switched the oil filter from a small little Pennzoil, to a Motorcraft. I wanted to use the Motorcraft blend 5w20, but had to go with Mobil1 5w20 full synthetic due to Motorcraft being out of stock.

Since the oil change, my MPG has gone from 13.8 to 14.2 city. Not sure if they were running heavier oil or if it was caused by the small filter.

Anyways, thanks in advance,

Chris

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the Motorcraft 5w-30. Just personal preference on the weight. And I use Motorcraft filters.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used fram for all my cars and conventional oil and never had a problem. Some say synthetic is not as good mainly because you get more blow by but there is a lot of debate on it. Should be ok till next oil change though.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never had problems with the synthetic. I used to run Mobil 1. But the Cobra had some leaks and it was getting expensive buying oil to top it off. The leaks are fixed, but I'm not having issues with Motorcraft so I haven't bothered switching back.

I lost a new motor to a Fram oil filter. I will never run another one.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

B

bedrck46

been using Fram for over 30 years never had a problem with them. But when you get a bad one of a brand it can tend to turn you off to that brand

OP
OP

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Before my Expedition I drove a F150 with a 302. Still learning about the 5.4. As of right now I'm leaning towards all Motorcraft on the next oil change.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 5w20 and Mobil 1 filter and never had a problem with either.

It seems the Mobil 1 filter keeps the oil cleaner longer in my experience. I've also had my oil tested and Mobil 1 has held the properties and additives longer than conventional oil at about 5000 miles.

bd1980

Reaction score
Motorcraft filters and whatever full synthetic 5w-20 (besides Pennzoil) is on sale. Read from people smarter than me that motorcraft filters are some of the best you can buy.