Oil changes at the Ford Stealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hell no. Oil changes at the stealership are just another reason for them to find something wrong or worse, create a new problem. The Nissan stealership hit my 70 y/o mom with a $180 bill for a cabin filter last time she went for her "free" oil change.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was driving out west in 2019 (with my 2019 that I no longer have). I'm overdue by about 500 miles, so pull into the dealer in Carson City. They wanted me to make an appointment two weeks out! I ended up going to a dealer in Redding, and it was still a three hour affair.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
I had an oil change at a local Ford dealer and the monkey who changed my oil made a big mess on the frame. Oil was spilled everywhere. I used the Fumoto valve and they said it cause oil pressure issue when I brought my Exp for cam phaser replacement in June lol.
Lol I steam and dress (yes I’m rhat OCD) my engine bay about 4 times a year, one time I had done it 2 days prior to taking it in for something. When I went to pick it up the service technician was standing with the service manager at my checkout lane and he actually apologized for getting his fingerprints on the engine cover. He was so worried bc he tried to fix it and didn’t have any type of dressing to put back in after he wiped his prints off.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@armoredsaint do it yourself. Prices at stealership are going up and almost double what it would cost you on your own. Buy your oil and filter, write down on the receipt the mileage you changed the oil at and in what day and keep the receipt for your records. Maybe scan it to yourself as a pdf. That’s what I do. My dealership wants almost $90 for full synthetic oil change and I can do it for about $40 in 30 minutes. Super easy

30 minutes? Do you use a lift? ramps? a jack?

Looking for tips. I want to start doing my own, but I don't wriggle around under a vehicle as well as I used to.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Looking for tips. I want to start doing my own, but I don't wriggle around under a vehicle as well as I used to.

No need for any of that with my 3rd gen. I fit under there just fine. With my wife's Civic I use Rhino ramps.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I use a set of ramps since it makes it easier to remove the skid plates and it also allows the oil from the filter area to only drain out the back port of the little catch tray. The first time I changed it without ramps, oil ran out in two places from the little oil filter drain catch tray.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a set of ramps since it makes it easier to remove the skid plates and it also allows the oil from the filter area to only drain out the back port of the little catch tray. The first time I changed it without ramps, oil ran out in two places from the little oil filter drain catch tray.
Yes, the ramps cause the filter oil to drain out the back. I put a funnel with a tube up under the drain ‘port’ either right into the container, or a pan.

It takes me 45 minutes to do the change driving on ramps, with a fumito valve, putting oil straight into the container. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter.

Record it in the app, and write it in the owners manual.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I may buy some ramps. I am a beefy dude.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may buy some ramps. I am a beefy dude.
The "oil catch tray" (a misnomer if there ever was one) under the filter is the most ridiculous design I've ever seen. I have to have a large pan that covers both sides to make sure I don't get oil all over the place. Additionally, even if I do catch all the oil before it hits the floor it gets all over the chassis components when dripping out the back side. That is just taking the filter off. If you are like me and pre fill the new filter with oil before installation, good luck getting it on without getting a nice coating of new oil in the same places as the old.

Then you need to thoroughly wipe out the "catch tray" and chassis components from both sides or oil will be dripping on the ground for an hour or so after completion.

A 10 year old could come up with a better design than that and yet it has been the same for many model years.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It just about takes me longer to drive to the dealership and back than it does for me to do the change. I'm actually looking forward to my next oil change to try out my Valvomax.

I do take it over to Discount tire for my free rotations every time I change the oil. Grab some tacos at Taco Cabana next door while I wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69