Oil filter adapter leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi folks, im new to the forum. I just picked up a '04 4.6l. It has an oil leak, which appears to be coming from the oil filter adapter. Is this a common leak? Or is it something else in that area? And is it a simple fix of changing a gasket, and possibly the adapter? Sorry for all the questions but any help or tips on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would check to ensure that it is not double-gasketed; in other words, two gaskets on the base, vice just the one; this is a common occurrence.

PanHandler.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is coming near the filter gasket.. I would just change the oil and swap the filter with a new filter.. This is the cheapest and easiest fix.

If it is coming from a crack in the neck of the oil filter adapter, you will need to replace the adapter... I personally did not ever changed the adapter, so I'm not sure how long it will take..
:head3:

OP
OP
boobie33

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. Ill make sure to check what was suggested..and ill update what happens. Ill have some free time on sunday to crawl back under there.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

PhantomQA

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined in search of procedures for replacing the oil filter adapter gasket replace on a 2003 expedition 5.4 2 wheel dr (Wife's baby). I've searched but none of searches returned results for my specific vehicle? The leak is getting pretty bad and the stealer wants~$500 to do the job. Can I do it in the driveway or do I need it up on a lift? Some posts say PS pump needs to be removed and others say LH eng mount...
Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave