Oil Life - What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fort C

Reaction score
2012 Expedition EL Limited, 92k miles.
We are driving from North Texas to Rhode Island and back soon. The last oil change (Synthetic) was 3900 miles ago . Round trip we are looking at 6K miles. Synthetic is supposed to be good for 10K (Lexus) but only 7.5K for Ford (from my owners manual)

So, what would you do? I'm leaning towards having the oil changed right before the trip just in case.

Thanks!

Fort C

Reaction score
I usually change my own oil, and went to Walmart to get some even though I was tired from helping my daughter move today. They had a sign with oil change prices so I decided to let them do it. $55.02 for a 7 qt. full synthetic oil change on the Expy. Not bad IMO. They did the usual extra stuff that goes with a full service change. I got some new wiper blades too for the trip. All she needs now is a car wash and it will be ready to go.

Thanks for all your comments!
Change it before your big trip! I usually change my full synthetic at 5,000-6,000 miles. All my vehicles feel better running with fresh oil. “An ounce of prevention=a pound of cure.” It’s usually better to do an oil change at ‘home’ then on the road.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change it before your big trip! I usually change my full synthetic at 5,000-6,000 miles. All my vehicles feel better running with fresh oil. “An ounce of prevention=a pound of cure.” It’s usually better to do an oil change at ‘home’ then on the road.
Yea, mine goes "aahhh" when it gets new synthetic.

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
My worst experience with an oil change was a Toyota dealer in Oshkosh, WI changing oil in a Prius.
They put the next change sticker on and changed the rear struts for a big bill. We had beat it up pretty hard loaded for a week of camping, towing a trailer (getting 30 mpg, not counting the oil that it must be burning or leaking).

We got through Chicago traffic on the way home before the oil light came on. It took about 3 quarts (of 4) to get it back to the good range.

Lesson learned: Always do a preflight inspection before heading out, especially after service! In other words, trust, but verify!

BTW, I'm taking care of the oil changes on my, new to me, Expedition. First change, next week.

Expecting to not put many miles on it, I think that I'll change the oil every year.

David, I hope that you have a great and safe trip!

Reaction score
A lot of good information. Stay away from "CHEAP". Most places that give the lowest price just use bulk oil and or just want to push other work on you. I would find a good local shop and ask if you could bring your own oil and filter and let it go the 5-8k before I let the barrel oil go a 1,000k.

Another big one is brakes. Not only pad thickness but caliper condition, make sure the slides are free and lubed with proper grease to make sure there is no drag.

Also this is a time that your vehicle needs to be maintained and checked for wear and tear. Belts and pulleys, suspension and steering components, Tires atleast 50%, fluids up until now its just as required but consider flush and fill for the coolant, brake fluid especially if you tow a lot, and transmissions fluids but this I would take to a transmission and ask what they recommend.

I know this may seem like a lot but I have been a mechanic my whole life and strive to keep vehicles for 10 years in the rust belt, you shouldhaveno problems going 20. Good luck and safe travels

Reaction score
2012 Expedition EL Limited, 92k miles.
We are driving from North Texas to Rhode Island and back soon. The last oil change (Synthetic) was 3900 miles ago . Round trip we are looking at 6K miles. Synthetic is supposed to be good for 10K (Lexus) but only 7.5K for Ford (from my owners manual)

So, what would you do? I'm leaning towards having the oil changed right before the trip just in case.

Thanks!
Change it!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My worst experience with an oil change was a Toyota dealer in Oshkosh, WI changing oil in a Prius.
They put the next change sticker on and changed the rear struts for a big bill. We had beat it up pretty hard loaded for a week of camping, towing a trailer (getting 30 mpg, not counting the oil that it must be burning or leaking).

We got through Chicago traffic on the way home before the oil light came on. It took about 3 quarts (of 4) to get it back to the good range.

Lesson learned: Always do a preflight inspection before heading out, especially after service! In other words, trust, but verify!

BTW, I'm taking care of the oil changes on my, new to me, Expedition. First change, next week.

Expecting to not put many miles on it, I think that I'll change the oil every year.

David, I hope that you have a great and safe trip!
If you have to verify you aren't trusting.

Paul M

Reaction score
Horror story here too.

Back in 2006 the wife bought a new, fairly base model Toyota Avalon and we took it back to the dealer for the first free oil change. I am driving home from the dealer when my cell rings and the Service Manager asks me where I am and if I could pull over immediately. I do and 15 minutes later a tow truck picks me up, takes me back to the dealer, and gives me a rental. Their story was they saw a trail of oil from the oil change station and there were only two cars so in the interest of "quality" they wanted to check both cars, etc. blah, blah... I'm internally laughing but say say sure, whatever and leave in the rental. Bright and early the next day I drop by and and say I've left something in the car and walk past the manager into the service area as he's freaking out. I then start to take photos of the new Avalon with the engine being pulled...

I'm easy going and have more than my share of screw ups, but damn, that goes out the window when you lie to me.

I call my wife and tell her to come pick out a new car. The dealer couldn't swap us with a fully loaded upgraded Limited Avalon fast enough and I've never stepped back into that dealership again.

She loves and is still driving the damn thing and I CAN'T talk her into a new ride.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1