Oil Life - What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I usually change my own oil, and went to Walmart to get some even though I was tired from helping my daughter move today. They had a sign with oil change prices so I decided to let them do it. $55.02 for a 7 qt. full synthetic oil change on the Expy. Not bad IMO. They did the usual extra stuff that goes with a full service change. I got some new wiper blades too for the trip. All she needs now is a car wash and it will be ready to go.

Thanks for all your comments!
I always check tire inflation before trip, do oil changes wherever I am.
I usually do 8000 mile trips in August/September ... not this year :flame:
I have a full page list of things to do before trip, like put mail on HOLD

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run extended intervals on synthetic oil as a result of oil analysis (have in many cars for many years). If you search on my name, you can find the posts and review the results.

Please no denigrating remarks from those that choose to do differently.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change oil using Motocraft semi synth every 3000 miles...Oil change is cheap compared to engine components.

Plati

Reaction score
I change oil using Motocraft semi synth every 3000 miles...Oil change is cheap compared to engine components.
I've done 6K mile oil changes (10W30) on my 2003XLT with 184K miles on it , one step from junkyard due to corrosion and parts failure of other types. Engine still runs great though, no issue there. Have about $1800 banked vs 3K mile oil changes. I fully support people doing whatever makes them happy, but personally I have no reason to believe 3K oil changes prolong engine life. I think that's a waste of time, money, and resources. Imagine if I went on a 9000 mile trip and had to get my oil changed 3 times.

Last edited:

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if it's only 4k round trip, change it. Would never recommend exceeding 6k on a change regardless of mfgr's recommendations. 3900 + 4000 = almost 8k.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done 6K mile oil changes (10W30) on my 2003XLT with 180K miles on it , one step from junkyard due to corrosion and parts failure of other types. Engine still runs great though, no issue there. Have about $1800 banked vs 3K mile oil changes. I fully support people doing whatever makes them happy, but personally I have no reason to believe 3K oil changes prolong engine life. I think thats a waste of time, money, and resources. Imagine if I went on a 9000 mile trip and had to get my oil changes 3 times.
I agree and I change my synthetic every 5 k miles which is more than enough according to the makers of it.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recognize intervals are to protect the manufacturer's interests. They are NOT an interval picked on failure analysis or large sampling of the oils drained from the Ford dealers so they can tweak their interval. Large fleets use analysis to validate that the oil is performing as needed at extended intervals. They don't change at manufacturer's intervals - they change when the oil and/or additive packages are as close to end of life as possible. Numerous auto manufacturers now have long intervals on their cars where the oil change is part of the warranty service and they use synthetic. In other words, now that the company pays, imagine that - the intervals get longer. My F type Jag with 550HP has a 16,000 interval - 550 HP on a 5.0 liter motor is a bit more stressful on oil than our wimpy 5.4L motors; and I can drive on racetracks under warranty! BMW is now 12,000 to 15,000 miles for when they change their synthetic. Why did they change? - because they know synthetic lasts that long. I've been running 15,000 mile intervals on several cars many times - each time I've gone to that interval, it's based on analysis that has demonstrated that the oil and additive packages are fine at those extended intervals in that vehicle with said oil.