Oil maintenance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also a plug for Blackstone Labs, but if you're really curious about how your oil is doing, order a kit. They're free to order, free to send back. $28 once the sample arrives at their lab and they've processed it.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The bottom line is that you will NEVER ruin a motor by changing the oil more frequently... you all do as you like as the inverse of my statement is not also true. With the fuel dilution present in these ecoboost motors, I will not go over 5k.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With modern engines, the oil itself is rarely an issue anymore( the chem pkgs are so good)...the problems we see in modern high performance engines is that with the much closer tolerances allowed by much closer engine temperature control, smaller foreign particles (dirt) are embedding themselves into the faces of insert bearings, cyl walls, cams and staying there causing premature galling and ultimate failure.

A good way to remove these before they become embedded is to change the oil/filter often......but as I've always championed....it's your truck, do as you wish!

jeff

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still working with the high authority to come up with a fit punishment for this.... we are considering at the least hefty fines and community service, may be some time behind bars.

Flog him, Flog him, flog him.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Game of Thrones comes to mind.....

“Shame....shame...shame...!!”
Penance!!!!

Lol

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was perfectly comfortable going 20,000 miles between changes on Mobil 1 Extended Performance and it’s matching oil filter. But I switched to a much larger oil filter, and I always checked the oil. During an oil change the oil was still always dark honey even after 300,000 miles on my Land Cruiser. But the oil in my ecoboost is black and nasty after 5,000 miles so I’m changing it often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A larger oil filter??

I have been trying to locate a higher capacity filter for the Expy.

How did you locate one for your old ride?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many times once you find your oil filter, you can compare it to others for thread/opening size. If that part is the same and the oil filter is just taller, you can use it if you can fit it in your space. Like this:

e236b371bd93875da36057a6826fcde3.jpg

More media, more filtration capability before bypass mode.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many times once you find your oil filter, you can compare it to others for thread/opening size. If that part is the same and the oil filter is just taller, you can use it if you can fit it in your space. Like this:

e236b371bd93875da36057a6826fcde3.jpg

More media, more filtration capability before bypass mode.

Not always true. Some oil filters have check valves, especially those on cars with turbos.