Oil maintenance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Changingtime

Reaction score
2016 expedition el ecoboost. Is there a place/diagram/engineering document that shows the factors that are taken into account in the oil change percentage.

Ie, time between changes (days), miles driven, etc

I have 2 oil changes with approximately 14000 miles. The first change had a lot of percentage left around 6k miles, the last time around 14k it jumped to 5percent (but it had been one year between those miles).

Dealer stated (change every 3000 or so, bc they say we live in extreme environment / I disagreed with them, I live in Columbus Ohio.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
12,000 miles intervals here, this is my set up below, I use the same oil to top off any burn off once a month

dd32442b-55cf-4125-a537-c65ea2bbb07d_1.e43bb00876456db7375a9edf95aedce1.jpg

oil_filter_boxes.jpg

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil analysis is the best way to know where the oil life is. So many different brand oils, viscosity and filter....drive styles and weather....

In a way pick an oil and filter you like. Do some research and make yourself warm and fuzzy with your choice.

CJ

M1 Extended performance is a good oil. MC oil filters are a great choice too. JMHO

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 expedition el ecoboost. Is there a place/diagram/engineering document that shows the factors that are taken into account in the oil change percentage.

Ie, time between changes (days), miles driven, etc

I have 2 oil changes with approximately 14000 miles. The first change had a lot of percentage left around 6k miles, the last time around 14k it jumped to 5percent (but it had been one year between those miles).

Dealer stated (change every 3000 or so, bc they say we live in extreme environment / I disagreed with them, I live in Columbus Ohio.

Dealer is LYING to you....as you've surmised, Columbus Ohio, unless it has been drastically affected by the global cooling temperatures and maybe some high winds added in, is not an extreme environment!

FWIW......Be leary of going long distances between changes.....as the filter will automatically go into "bypass mode" which will not only recirculate dirty oil without it being filtered at all but will in many cases, allow previously filtered dirt to reenter the oil system. With these "half size filters", I try to stay under 5K....but you do what you feel it right after gathering the info.

jeff

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
I'd say 5,000 miles is a safe interval. That's why most members on here do.
On my 2016 EL XLT, I go 5-7,500 depending on what the computer "suggests". We're not in an extreme service area, but do travel some dusty, back-woods, dirt roads and I take that into consideration. I use Motorcraft 5w-30 Synthetic Blend Oil with a Motorcraft FL-500-S filter. I've used Motorcraft oil and filters since I was a pup and old habits die hard.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might have missed my 10,000 mile oil analysis thread where everyone told me I was clearly an idiot for gambling with my engine's life and I should be subject to capital punishment, but you're fine.

The computer takes into account ambient temperature, time spent at operating temperature, engine speed, mileage, actual time passed, and probably more. Unless you're Scotty Kilmer, it's plenty trustworthy, and if you're doing them at the dealer, Ford has records they were done right and on-time, so if something happens and you're under warranty, you're blameless.

Dealer is telling you 3,000 because they want your dollars. Even my 2001 Oldsmobile says 5,000 is fine, the computer usually ends up telling me to do it around 6,500 though.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to intellicast Columbus record low is -22°F and record high of 106°F. Suppose everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes "extreme".

I'd suspect there is a complicated algorithm that factors, among other things, calendar time since last reset, idle time, each run cycle duration, temperatures (oil and non-oil) before and during each run cycle, load percentages on each cycle, observed oil PSI ranges, with mileage somehow calculated into it all.

Probably wouldn't make sense to most outside of the engineering world.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might have missed my 10,000 mile oil analysis thread where everyone told me I was clearly an idiot for gambling with my engine's life and I should be subject to capital punishment, but you're fine.

The computer takes into account ambient temperature, time spent at operating temperature, engine speed, mileage, actual time passed, and probably more. Unless you're Scotty Kilmer, it's plenty trustworthy, and if you're doing them at the dealer, Ford has records they were done right and on-time, so if something happens and you're under warranty, you're blameless.

Dealer is telling you 3,000 because they want your dollars. Even my 2001 Oldsmobile says 5,000 is fine, the computer usually ends up telling me to do it around 6,500 though.

I'm still working with the high authority to come up with a fit punishment for this.... we are considering at the least hefty fines and community service, may be some time behind bars.